Apr 4, 2013, 9:13 AM EDT
What? If pundits and newspaper columnists are allowed to talk about “who won the offseason” and are allowed to draw grand conclusions about this team or that team after one or two games, Joe Posnanski is certainly able to hand out MVP hardware based on the early season performances:
American League Rookie of the Year: Jose Iglesias, Boston
While there was a lot of hype for his teammate Jackie Bradley Jr., who tied for the league lead in walks (3) and was second in runs scored (2), Iglesias quietly hit .600 in helping Boston overcome its troubles the previous two seasons and tie for first in the American League East.
I like the past tense. I also like that, if we’re gonna do this, it makes the Mets and their +13 run differential and undefeated record into the best team in baseball.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 59
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 51
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 20
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 62
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29