Apr 4, 2013, 7:23 PM EDT
The Astros just announced that they have acquired left-hander Travis Blackley from the Athletics in exchange for minor league outfielder Jake Goebbert. According to Brian McTaggart of MLB.com, he is expected to join the active roster tomorrow.
Blackley was designated for assignment by the Athletics last week. The 30-year-old Aussie owns a 5.37 ERA in the majors, but he posted a 3.86 ERA and 69/30 K/BB ratio in 102 2/3 innings over 15 starts and nine relief appearances after coming over from the Giants last season. The Astros are expected to use him as a long reliever initially, but he could be an option for the rotation before long.
Goebbert, a 25-year-old corner outfielder, owns a .285/.363/.431 batting line over four seasons in the minors. Baseball America didn’t include him among the organization’s Top 30 prospects coming into the year.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 7
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 15
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 25
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)