Apr 4, 2013, 6:04 PM EDT
In what one can only hope is a temporary setback for Brian Roberts‘ comeback bid, the Orioles second baseman left Thursday’s game in the ninth inning with a right hamstring injury.
Roberts said he felt a pop in his hamstring before diving headfirst into second base in the game against the Rays. He didn’t put any weight on the leg as he was aided off the field.
Roberts was 1-for-4 today and 5-for-12 on the young season. He was hurt on his first steal attempt of the year.
Assuming that Roberts lands on the disabled list, the Orioles will probably go to Ryan Flaherty and Alexi Casilla at second base. They do have top prospect Jonathan Schoop available, but it’s doubtful they’d turn to him so soon. They actually have him slated to play shortstop this year after he spent most of last season at second base.
- Who really owns a home run ball? 56
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 127
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Remembering David Letterman’s best sports moments 11
- Ryan Zimmerman is Mr. Walk-Off (and the numbers to prove it) 11
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)