Apr 4, 2013, 6:04 PM EDT
In what one can only hope is a temporary setback for Brian Roberts‘ comeback bid, the Orioles second baseman left Thursday’s game in the ninth inning with a right hamstring injury.
Roberts said he felt a pop in his hamstring before diving headfirst into second base in the game against the Rays. He didn’t put any weight on the leg as he was aided off the field.
Roberts was 1-for-4 today and 5-for-12 on the young season. He was hurt on his first steal attempt of the year.
Assuming that Roberts lands on the disabled list, the Orioles will probably go to Ryan Flaherty and Alexi Casilla at second base. They do have top prospect Jonathan Schoop available, but it’s doubtful they’d turn to him so soon. They actually have him slated to play shortstop this year after he spent most of last season at second base.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (90)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (79)