Apr 4, 2013, 6:04 PM EDT
In what one can only hope is a temporary setback for Brian Roberts‘ comeback bid, the Orioles second baseman left Thursday’s game in the ninth inning with a right hamstring injury.
Roberts said he felt a pop in his hamstring before diving headfirst into second base in the game against the Rays. He didn’t put any weight on the leg as he was aided off the field.
Roberts was 1-for-4 today and 5-for-12 on the young season. He was hurt on his first steal attempt of the year.
Assuming that Roberts lands on the disabled list, the Orioles will probably go to Ryan Flaherty and Alexi Casilla at second base. They do have top prospect Jonathan Schoop available, but it’s doubtful they’d turn to him so soon. They actually have him slated to play shortstop this year after he spent most of last season at second base.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 3
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 1
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)