Apr 4, 2013, 1:20 PM EDT
Chris Young opted out of his minor-league contract with the Nationals and was released last week, but now he’s back with Washington on another minor-league deal.
At the time the assumption was that Young could find a better opportunity elsewhere considering the strength of the Nationals’ rotation, but apparently not. He’ll report to Triple-A and wait for an injury to one of the established starters.
Young’s velocity was low during spring training, even for him, but it’s still surprising that no teams wanted to grab him as a short-term fifth starter considering the 34-year-old right-hander had a 4.15 ERA and 80/36 K/BB ratio in 115 innings for the Mets last season.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)