Apr 4, 2013, 6:21 PM EDT
A potential ninth-inning rally for the Rays was sabotaged in Thursday’s game against the Orioles when Evan Longoria was ruled to have passed Ben Zobrist on the basepaths on what otherwise would have been a double.
Down 6-2, the Rays had runners on first and second with none out and Longoria up. Longoria hit a long fly to left-center that barely escaped Adam Jones and Nate McLouth and rolled all of the way back into center field. Zobrist, who was on first, was unsure if it would be caught and headed back to first base to tag up. After the ball got away, Zobrist and Longoria were practically side-by-side running towards second, though Zobrist did get there first.
It appeared the end result of the play was an RBI double, with Longoria on second, Zobrist on third and Sean Rodriguez having scored. However, the umpires then called Longoria out for having overtaken Zobrist.
Whether Longoria in fact did that was never quite clear. From the Rays’ camera behind the action, it didn’t look like Longoria ever truly overtook him, but the angle wasn’t very good. It was also unclear how any of the umpires made the call when all seemed focused on the ball in the outfield. Regardless, it wasn’t the best of ideas for Longoria to try to keep pace with him.
After the play, Orioles closer Jim Johnson retired two of the next three batters to end the game at 6-3.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)