Apr 4, 2013, 8:52 AM EDT
UPDATE: I got a tweet from Father Kelly himself, who was apparently misquoted by the folks at CBS Detroit in the story as it was posted this morning. Here is the updated version of what Kelly said:
Kelly said, jokingly, that he knows God doesn’t play favorites, but on a personal level he hopes God cares more about the Tigers than the Yankees. As a theologian, though, he knows the Lord doesn’t take sides.
Well that’s eminently more reasonable, even if the world is somewhat less interesting without smack-talking Episcopal priests.
8:52 AM: Hey, I didn’t say it. An Episcopal priest — Father Steven Kelly of St. John’s Episcopal Church in Detroit — did:
Fr. Steven J. Kelly is holding his annual “Pray Here for the Tigers” service at 6 p.m.They’re praying for everyone from the players, to the vendors, to the owners, to the fans …
But, does God really care about the Tigers? Kelly said he hopes God cares more about them than the Yankees.
Far be it from me to argue theology with a man of the cloth.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)