Apr 4, 2013, 8:52 AM EDT
UPDATE: I got a tweet from Father Kelly himself, who was apparently misquoted by the folks at CBS Detroit in the story as it was posted this morning. Here is the updated version of what Kelly said:
Kelly said, jokingly, that he knows God doesn’t play favorites, but on a personal level he hopes God cares more about the Tigers than the Yankees. As a theologian, though, he knows the Lord doesn’t take sides.
Well that’s eminently more reasonable, even if the world is somewhat less interesting without smack-talking Episcopal priests.
8:52 AM: Hey, I didn’t say it. An Episcopal priest — Father Steven Kelly of St. John’s Episcopal Church in Detroit — did:
Fr. Steven J. Kelly is holding his annual “Pray Here for the Tigers” service at 6 p.m.They’re praying for everyone from the players, to the vendors, to the owners, to the fans …
But, does God really care about the Tigers? Kelly said he hopes God cares more about them than the Yankees.
Far be it from me to argue theology with a man of the cloth.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 1
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 134
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 48
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 49
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (163)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)