Apr 4, 2013, 8:52 AM EDT
UPDATE: I got a tweet from Father Kelly himself, who was apparently misquoted by the folks at CBS Detroit in the story as it was posted this morning. Here is the updated version of what Kelly said:
Kelly said, jokingly, that he knows God doesn’t play favorites, but on a personal level he hopes God cares more about the Tigers than the Yankees. As a theologian, though, he knows the Lord doesn’t take sides.
Well that’s eminently more reasonable, even if the world is somewhat less interesting without smack-talking Episcopal priests.
8:52 AM: Hey, I didn’t say it. An Episcopal priest — Father Steven Kelly of St. John’s Episcopal Church in Detroit — did:
Fr. Steven J. Kelly is holding his annual “Pray Here for the Tigers” service at 6 p.m.They’re praying for everyone from the players, to the vendors, to the owners, to the fans …
But, does God really care about the Tigers? Kelly said he hopes God cares more about them than the Yankees.
Far be it from me to argue theology with a man of the cloth.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 20
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)