Apr 4, 2013, 8:52 AM EDT
UPDATE: I got a tweet from Father Kelly himself, who was apparently misquoted by the folks at CBS Detroit in the story as it was posted this morning. Here is the updated version of what Kelly said:
Kelly said, jokingly, that he knows God doesn’t play favorites, but on a personal level he hopes God cares more about the Tigers than the Yankees. As a theologian, though, he knows the Lord doesn’t take sides.
Well that’s eminently more reasonable, even if the world is somewhat less interesting without smack-talking Episcopal priests.
8:52 AM: Hey, I didn’t say it. An Episcopal priest — Father Steven Kelly of St. John’s Episcopal Church in Detroit — did:
Fr. Steven J. Kelly is holding his annual “Pray Here for the Tigers” service at 6 p.m.They’re praying for everyone from the players, to the vendors, to the owners, to the fans …
But, does God really care about the Tigers? Kelly said he hopes God cares more about them than the Yankees.
Far be it from me to argue theology with a man of the cloth.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 65
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 46
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)