Apr 4, 2013, 8:52 AM EST
UPDATE: I got a tweet from Father Kelly himself, who was apparently misquoted by the folks at CBS Detroit in the story as it was posted this morning. Here is the updated version of what Kelly said:
Kelly said, jokingly, that he knows God doesn’t play favorites, but on a personal level he hopes God cares more about the Tigers than the Yankees. As a theologian, though, he knows the Lord doesn’t take sides.
Well that’s eminently more reasonable, even if the world is somewhat less interesting without smack-talking Episcopal priests.
8:52 AM: Hey, I didn’t say it. An Episcopal priest — Father Steven Kelly of St. John’s Episcopal Church in Detroit — did:
Fr. Steven J. Kelly is holding his annual “Pray Here for the Tigers” service at 6 p.m.They’re praying for everyone from the players, to the vendors, to the owners, to the fans …
But, does God really care about the Tigers? Kelly said he hopes God cares more about them than the Yankees.
Far be it from me to argue theology with a man of the cloth.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (360)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)