UPDATE: God DOES NOT care more about the Tigers than the Yankees. Sigh.

Apr 4, 2013, 8:52 AM EDT

God

UPDATE: I got a tweet from Father Kelly himself, who was apparently misquoted by the folks at CBS Detroit in the story as it was posted this morning.  Here is the updated version of what Kelly said:

Kelly said, jokingly, that he knows God doesn’t play favorites, but on a personal level he hopes God cares more about the Tigers than the Yankees. As a theologian, though, he knows the Lord doesn’t take sides.

Well that’s eminently more reasonable, even if the world is somewhat less interesting without smack-talking Episcopal priests.

8:52 AMHey, I didn’t say it. An Episcopal priest — Father Steven Kelly of St. John’s Episcopal Church in Detroit — did:

Fr. Steven J. Kelly is holding his annual “Pray Here for the Tigers” service at 6 p.m.They’re praying for everyone from the players, to the vendors, to the owners, to the fans …

But, does God really care about the Tigers? Kelly said he hopes God cares more about them than the Yankees.

Far be it from me to argue theology with a man of the cloth.

(from CBS Detroit)

1. mattjg - Apr 4, 2013 at 8:56 AM

This shouldn’t be confused with the earlier Christian event entitled “Prey for the Lions.”

• mattjg - Apr 4, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Er, “Prey Here for the Lions.” I blame the lack of an edit function if my joke bombs, not my stunted sense of humor.

• indaburg - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Actually, the original, error and all, was funnier.

• zzalapski - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:48 AM

The Lions finished 4-12 last season. They can use all the charity they can get.

2. itsacurse - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Jokes aside, I commend your choice in God photo

3. mungman69 - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:09 AM

A photo of God. You can’t beat that.

• number42is1 - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:15 AM

I always pictured him taller… and with a cigar

• historiophiliac - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I thought George Burns was short.

• number42is1 - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:27 AM

touche

4. historiophiliac - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Amen.

5. Shafer's Dealer - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Never mind atrocities like child rape and starvation… God will take care of the Tigers and taxes..

• historiophiliac - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I don’t follow on the starvation and taxes parts.

6. proudlycanadian - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:13 AM

The Yankees have Lucifer on their side.

• lazlosother - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Someone had to put the evil in the empire.

• turdfurgerson68 - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Typical of the Yankees, Lucifer is old and on the DL…he’s no help at all.

• bigharold - Apr 4, 2013 at 11:53 AM

No PC. You’re thinking Drath Vader.

• anxovies - Apr 4, 2013 at 12:58 PM

Anybody who has seen Damn Yankees knows that. Unfortunately, Lucifer is a little off his game early this year.

7. nobody78 - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:39 AM

In 2003 and 2004, I was a Catholic Yankee fan living in Boston, and they used to pray against me in Church.

• paperlions - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:50 AM

It is almost (though not really) forgivable for an individual to have a fundamental lack of understanding of his/her religion, but it really is not excusable for those that are supposed to teach it to lack that understanding (no matter how trivial the instance).

• historiophiliac - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Assuming facts not in evidence — and I refer you to Abraham Lincoln’s 2nd Inaugural for a lovely rumination on the subject.

• chacochicken - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Despite having stereoscopic vision, we are awesome at being shortsighted and lacking perspective.

• paperlions - Apr 4, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Praying for someone’s failure is distinctly contrary to the teaching of the Christ, is it not?

• historiophiliac - Apr 4, 2013 at 12:15 PM

paper, that entirely depends on your denomination/theological bent. For some, praying for God’s judgment or that he smite the enemy is totally ok (Old School Testament).

Plus, you should not assume that said slip is the result of ignorance instead of willful bias or a convenient interpretation of Scripture.

• paperlions - Apr 4, 2013 at 12:44 PM

Of course it is willful bias and convenient interpretation, I have yet to meet any religious person that doesn’t regularly use those tools to resolve the inconsistency between how they live their lives and how their religion says they should try to.

• historiophiliac - Apr 4, 2013 at 12:45 PM

I don’t think only religious people do that. I think it’s a trait all humans use re: morality & values.

• paperlions - Apr 4, 2013 at 12:51 PM

I agree….but one group of people has a set of rules they are supposed to follow, and they are supposed to try to follow all of them, it isn’t generally set up a la carte where you get to pick and choose your morals, they are “pre-set” and you are supposed to do your best to live by them, improve yourself, etc. In short, your morality/values is kind of dictated to you….whereas, lacking such a set of rules, one may pick and choose their morality at need/convenience….it just seems like both groups religious and non-religious) do the same thing, with one group acting like it doesn’t.

I shouldn’t say I have never met a religious person that didn’t live by what he preached, that isn’t true. I have met such people.

• historiophiliac - Apr 4, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Honey, I find if you don’t go a la carte, you eat too much.

• paperlions - Apr 4, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Indeed.

• anxovies - Apr 4, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Let us strive on to finish the work we are in, to bind up the Yankee’s wounds, to care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan, to do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting victory in October.

8. chacochicken - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:50 AM

You’ve got two empty halves of coconut, and you’re bangin’ ‘em together!

• unclemosesgreen - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:32 AM

So?

9. Old Gator - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Henry VIII chopped off most of what passes for “theology” when he founded the Church of England, Criag. You might just draw some odd looks from an Anglican priest when you ask questions like, oh, “Have you read The Cloud of Unknowing lately?” Or, maybe, “How many angels did St. Anselm argue got expelled from the heavenly choir after Lucifer’s rebellion in Cur Deus Homo?”

And you’ll notice these are all English theologians. Try getting into Continental patristics with one and their heads begin to arc and frizz like Robby the Robot when Morbius ordered him to kill his Id.

On the other hand, you can still have a breezy, enjoyable conversation over a Schwartzhundt Stout with an Anglican priest concerning Piltdown Man. They love to bash dissident Jesuits.

• stex52 - Apr 4, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Odd, because they would all make a pretty good substitute for dissident Jesuits.

• Gamera the Brave - Apr 4, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Wait, what’s your issue with Piltdown Man? That was a kick-ass hoax…

• Old Gator - Apr 4, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Ah, yes, but what interests me is the likelihood that the great marginally blasphemous Jesuit theologian (and paleontologist) Pere Teilhard de Chardin was one of the perpetrators. It’s a great story – right up there with the skull of Edwin Drinker Cope winding up as a paperweight on Loren Eiseley’s desk at the University of Pennsylvania.

• Gamera the Brave - Apr 4, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Sometimes I wish I was only MARGINALLY blasphemous, instead of my current blaspem-aliciousness…

10. stex52 - Apr 4, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Hey, there’s no IQ test to be a priest.

• historiophiliac - Apr 4, 2013 at 12:18 PM

There’s even less requirement to be a revivalist. (cf Billy James Hargis — and you probably can’t google that one at work lol)

11. philliesblow - Apr 4, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I always pegged God as a Cardinals or Padres fan (despite the Cards being represented by birds instead of old men in robes).

12. hieronymous27 - Apr 4, 2013 at 8:20 PM

The Tigers are going to hell in a hand-basket after signing the Big Burrito – Papa Grande Velverde – to a minor league contract.

13. denny65 - Apr 5, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Somehow I’m reminded of George Carlin’s “invisible man in the sky” and “wet paint sign” joke.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5017)