Great Moments in Futility: Columnist thinks Rangers fans should cheer Josh Hamilton

Apr 4, 2013, 11:32 AM EST

Josh Hamilton

Josh Hamilton makes his return to Arlington tomorrow as the Angels begin a series with the Rangers. It’s hard enough to get fans to not boo a former player who left via free agency. But one who left and joined a rival? And one who, after joining the rival, said that the old city was not a baseball town? ┬áMan, even if that is true — and it totally is — you’d be crazy to think that the local fans aren’t gonna boo that dude when he comes back.

But Dallas Morning News columnist Kevin Sherrington thinks Rangers fans should cheer Hamilton. His argument: Hamilton played some good baseball in Texas and good things happened to the Rangers when it did.

It’s almost cute that he thinks that matters to anyone. Even if he is right.

1. beefytrout - Apr 4, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Originally, I was going to give respectful applause during his introduction but then root against him during the actual game. Then he opened his mouth and I fully intended to give him the business the entire day. But then a local movement popped up, trying to get everyone to simply ignore him… no cheers, no boos, nothing.

Then I got my tickets, and saw that I’ll be sitting in RF. So I’ll probably bow to peer pressure.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 4, 2013 at 12:14 PM

give him the business the entire day

?

• yahmule - Apr 4, 2013 at 6:52 PM

This makes me smile every time.

The Jets got their shots in on Kelly. His first game in the NFL, Klecko leaps offside and just pastes him right in the face.

2. stex52 - Apr 4, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Option 1 would indeed be good, beefy. But you are probably right about the peer pressure.

They never quite got over Beltran jerking the Astros around in Houston. And that was nine years ago now.

3. jerze2387 - Apr 4, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Josh Hamilton was, is, and always will be a douche. He should be Booed. 90% of his time in Texas was spent hurt, and when he did get on a hot streak he proceeded to get too into the long ball and turned a HR streak into an outs streak.

• lmoneyfresh - Apr 4, 2013 at 2:21 PM

But god told him to be a douche. So its ok.

4. mrfloydpink - Apr 4, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Making this particularly tricky is the fact that Rangers fans are unusually low class, like Phillies fans or Yankees fans. See, for example, jerze2387 above.

• beefytrout - Apr 4, 2013 at 12:23 PM

I dare you to give one example.

• beefytrout - Apr 4, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Beyond what somebody says on the internet, that is. You know, an ACTUAL example.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I here you Trout. I can say without reservation…Rangers fans have alwasy been classy. Have alwasy been very easy to get a long with. I can also say without reservation…I don’t know that I would have been able to handle the outcome of 2011 W.S. had the roles been reversed.
        I have much respect for Rangers fans as a result of the grace in which they handled that series.

You will have to forgive Floyd. Sometime he talks (types) just to hear his head rattle.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:46 PM

“hear.”

EDIT FUNCTION!

• youknowwhatsgoodforshoulderpain - Apr 4, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Ranger fans are low class?? The heck??

• professormaddog31 - Apr 4, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I am friends with two hardcore Ranger fans, both of whom are some of the friendliest guys you’d ever meet. They appreciate baseball on the whole a lot more than some of the more ‘baseball knowledgable’ fanbases I’ve encountered. The only people I’ve ever seen my one friend ever be nasty to was an Angels fan who kept gloating about Hambone signing with them in the first place. And he was practically goaded into it.

I don’t get this low class thing.

• youknowwhatsgoodforshoulderpain - Apr 4, 2013 at 1:21 PM

I’m sure there are a few ass-clowns that are Ranger fans, but painting the whole group with this broad stroke irks me. I’ll acknowledge that the majority of the Ranger fan club has a below-average baseball IQ, but given the ridiculous drought of competitive baseball, you have to expect it to take some time to develop that familiarity across the whole that you see in areas with long histories and shelves filled with WS trophies.

• jerze2387 - Apr 4, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Not a phillies or yankees fan. just dont respect the guy who people stand by him (like his wife), and hes caught relapsing taking body shots off bar girls. then caught doing it AGAIN recently. plus hes pretty cocky for a guy who needed 2nd and 3rd chances. Not humble at all. that, to me, is a douche.

5. youknowwhatsgoodforshoulderpain - Apr 4, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I was one who really wanted Josh to get resigned, but I understand that its about money first and foremost. Keep in mind that baseball is a business and its a business of entertainment. Players follow dollars, and fans boo the opponents. Josh understands the money part for certain. If he had been with the Rangers for 10 years I can see how a standing ovation might be in order on his first at-bat, but he wasn’t. Booing isn’t about hate, its just rivalry, and its part of the game. I think Josh also understands if he gets booed. He’s hitless so far, and I do NOT want that changing anytime soon, especially at the Temple.

6. Jonestein - Apr 4, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Here’s the thing: SportsCenter Ranger fans will either want to cheer him because he “played some good baseball in Texas” or boo him because he said DFW isn’t a baseball town and he joined the rival Anaheim Angels.

Ranger fans who actually paid attention? Yes, we appreciate the good baseball he played during his time here, however:

1) We didn’t want him resigned for that kind of jack and were thrilled that Anaheim got saddled with another potentially crippling contract. Enjoy 2013, Los Anaheim, because after this honeymoon season Josh will develop a (insert mysterious ailment(s) here) as an excuse for his mind-boggling inconsistent play.

2) DFW is not, and sadly, will never be anything but a Cowboys-first town. It would take a Rangers Dynasty of epic proportions to ever unseat football in Texas, period. Josh was only stating the obvious, and he obviously stated it to take a jab at fans because he got the sh!t booed out of him during his craptacular performance against the Orioles. Which feeds into…

3) Ranger fans who paid attention last season will boo the holy hell out of him because he quit on his team and his fans. It was painfully obvious to anyone who actually watched the games that he started phoning it in sometime in July. I guess the backroom contract negotiations weren’t going to his satisfaction, so he took his ball and went home. THAT is why he will and should get deafening boos Friday afternoon.

• jerze2387 - Apr 4, 2013 at 2:08 PM

THANK YOU. see, the hamilton defenders call my comment out, but you did a btter job detailing some of the reasons to not like hamilton.

7. miketreedy - Apr 4, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Thank you media but we are very capable of deciding whether to boo or cheer him.

8. joshfrancis50 - Apr 4, 2013 at 4:26 PM

I was at the Reds opener Monday and my buddy asked me if I’ll stand and applaud for Hamilton. Is he playing for the Reds today? Then no.

9. bucs24 - Apr 4, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Ranger fans are just mad cause he left your not so much baseball city

• tcb2nyc - Apr 4, 2013 at 6:12 PM

No, A-Hole, we just outlined the reasons we will be booing Hamdouche tomorrow. He quit on the team being the primary reason. He’s also a cry-baby who always had an excuse for his poor performances. His contacts were giving him a headache – What? He just quit tobacco and wasnt able to concentrate – Huh?

He’s just as big a tool as CJ Wilson, who everyone around the metroplex wanted gone. They were both great players and terrible people to have around. The other players didnt come right out and say it, but you got the feeling they hated him, too. It sucked to lose the productivity, but it was awesome to get rid of the cancer.

• jerze2387 - Apr 4, 2013 at 8:36 PM

The occasional productivity. The week or so he was on a tear before getting hurt, or any of the myriad of contacts/tobacco/feeling gassy after a big meal hurt his concentration and performance

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5803)