Apr 4, 2013, 5:24 PM EDT
Scott Kazmir‘s comeback is on hold because of an abdominal strain that has him headed to the disabled list and the Indians announced that top prospect Trevor Bauer will be called up from Triple-A to take his place in the rotation Saturday.
Bauer was the No. 3 overall pick in the 2011 draft, almost immediately fell out of favor with the Diamondbacks, and was traded to the Indians this winter in the three-team swap involving Shin-Soo Choo.
He was optioned to Triple-A on March 21, but won’t get a chance to actually make a start there and will instead make his Indians debut versus the Rays. It’s possible that Cleveland would have chosen Carlos Carrasco over Bauer to make the fill-in starts, but Carrasco is serving a six-game suspension.
Kazmir is expected to miss 2-3 starts, but by the time he’s ready to join the rotation Bauer may have grabbed hold of a spot for good.
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 32
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 123
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 73
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)