Apr 4, 2013, 5:24 PM EDT
Scott Kazmir‘s comeback is on hold because of an abdominal strain that has him headed to the disabled list and the Indians announced that top prospect Trevor Bauer will be called up from Triple-A to take his place in the rotation Saturday.
Bauer was the No. 3 overall pick in the 2011 draft, almost immediately fell out of favor with the Diamondbacks, and was traded to the Indians this winter in the three-team swap involving Shin-Soo Choo.
He was optioned to Triple-A on March 21, but won’t get a chance to actually make a start there and will instead make his Indians debut versus the Rays. It’s possible that Cleveland would have chosen Carlos Carrasco over Bauer to make the fill-in starts, but Carrasco is serving a six-game suspension.
Kazmir is expected to miss 2-3 starts, but by the time he’s ready to join the rotation Bauer may have grabbed hold of a spot for good.
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 20
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 44
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 101
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 59