Apr 4, 2013, 5:24 PM EDT
Scott Kazmir‘s comeback is on hold because of an abdominal strain that has him headed to the disabled list and the Indians announced that top prospect Trevor Bauer will be called up from Triple-A to take his place in the rotation Saturday.
Bauer was the No. 3 overall pick in the 2011 draft, almost immediately fell out of favor with the Diamondbacks, and was traded to the Indians this winter in the three-team swap involving Shin-Soo Choo.
He was optioned to Triple-A on March 21, but won’t get a chance to actually make a start there and will instead make his Indians debut versus the Rays. It’s possible that Cleveland would have chosen Carlos Carrasco over Bauer to make the fill-in starts, but Carrasco is serving a six-game suspension.
Kazmir is expected to miss 2-3 starts, but by the time he’s ready to join the rotation Bauer may have grabbed hold of a spot for good.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (233)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)