James Shields is puzzled by Evan Longoria’s comments

Apr 4, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT

Kansas City Royals v Chicago White Sox Getty Images

The other day Evan Longoria offered some strange words for former teammates James Shields and B.J. Upton, strongly implying that, now that they were gone, all the bad juju from the Devil Rays era was gone, as those two has some things in their head “that were tough for them to get beyond.” Never mind that Joe Maddon was around in the Devil Rays days too. Whatever he was getting at, the comments seemed either shallow or critical, depending on how much benefit of the doubt you’re inclined to give Longoria.

For his part, James Shields doesn’t understand them. From the KC Star:

“It’s disappointing,” Shields said. “I’m a little bit surprised. Evan is a great player, but I really don’t know what he’s talking about. I really don’t, and I’m being honest with you …  “I don’t know where he was coming from with that,” Shields said, “but, frankly, I really don’t care. I’m more worried about the Kansas City Royals, and what we’re doing here. I felt my time in Tampa Bay was a good time. I felt my leadership over there was sufficient. But I’m moving on. This is my team over here.”

Anyone wanna give Longoria another bite at that apple?

1. convincedofthehex - Apr 4, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Shields could never deliver in the playoffs. Regression is going to bite him soon. I loved Upton, but his strikeout ratio grew tiresome.

• stex52 - Apr 4, 2013 at 11:35 AM

I’m curious, though. What you are talking about is a different issue. They had problems with skills or performance, maybe. But did you think of them as clubhouse problems? Because that is what Longoria is saying.

I’m particularly surprised in the case of Shields. I don’t think he asked to be traded, did he? That was out of his hands.

• indaburg - Apr 4, 2013 at 1:28 PM

Shields definitely did not ask to be traded. The word from everyone on the team was that he provided great leadership and mentoring to the young pitching staff. A hard worker, and a keen competitor. He even went to the Trop on moving day right before the start of spring training: http://raysradio.wordpress.com/2013/01/30/its-moving-day/

I’m puzzled by Longoria’s comments. Maybe the lack of sleep due to his newborn baby is making him punchy?

• unclemosesgreen - Apr 4, 2013 at 11:40 AM

You mean the James Shields who won Game 2 of the 2008 World Series?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 4, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Why didn’t he win games 1, 3, and 4?

• convincedofthehex - Apr 4, 2013 at 2:39 PM

No, the James Shields who went 4 and1/3 against Texas in the 2010 playoffs giving up 4 runs, and against Texas again in the 2011 playoffs when he went 5 innings giving up 7 runs. Big Game didn’t show up either time when he was needed. Kansas City will soon learn to love all the home runs he gives up.

• unclemosesgreen - Apr 5, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Oh see, well that’s confusing, since you wrote he “never came through in the playoffs.” And he won the only World Series game the Rays have ever won. You see how you got that totally wrong now?

But if you believe in hexes and such, I’m wasting time applying logic.

2. raysfan1 - Apr 4, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Nah. Still think it’s just a defense mechanism to deal with the loss of a couple fairly significant team mates. I don’t take it as significant of much of anything, including Longoria’s actual feelings.

• indaburg - Apr 4, 2013 at 1:34 PM

Maybe his comments were a defense mechanism, but it was strange and unnecessary to say it to the press. Longoria is bright guy and usually very media and press savvy. His statements could also breed discontent in the current Rays clubhouse. Price and Shields are very close. I wonder what Price thought of those comments. Zobrist is a remnant of the Devil Rays too. Is Longo referring to him as well? A player in his leadership position needs to think about the repercussions of his words to the press.

• hittfamily - Apr 4, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Hey burg. I haven’t been around in a while.
        Evan misplaced an ak-47. Of course he’s going to misplace a few words every now and again.

• indaburg - Apr 4, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Hey, welcome back! Good point…

3. chacochicken - Apr 4, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Did anyone just consider that Evan Longoria could simply be stupid? I mean really dumb. Its possible.

• paperlions - Apr 4, 2013 at 1:54 PM

He did have some automatic weapons stolen from his apartment during St one year, didn’t he? Even putting yourself in that position isn’t too bright.

• hittfamily - Apr 4, 2013 at 3:50 PM

What good is leaving your ak-47 at your rented apartment in spring training. If he would have carried it with him at all times, it never would have been stolen. Problem solved.
        -Wayne LaPierre

4. nolanwiffle - Apr 4, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Longoria was either misquoted or his comments were taken out of context. That…..or he’s a freakin’ meathead.

5. hittfamily - Apr 4, 2013 at 1:44 PM

He lost 1-0 on opening day. Evan blames it on his leadership.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate