Mark Teixeira wants to return from wrist injury by May 1

Apr 4, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT

Mark Teixeira AP

As of two weeks ago Mark Teixeira was saying he might not return from his wrist injury until June, but now he’s apparently aiming for May 1.

Teixeira was initially given an 8-10 week timetable on March 5 and according to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com the Yankees think May 1 would be really optimistic, but if the first baseman is cleared by a doctor next week he could begin swinging a bat and then a minor-league rehab assignment would be the next step.

He also noted that surgery remains a possibility, but “only if it never gets better.” And so far “it’s progressively gotten better, at this point … absolutely it has.”

1. dondada10 - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Deciding to come back early?

Only if your ready, Tex.

Obviously, long-term health is more important.

Monetarily, his salary is being paid by the W.B.C.

2. mybrunoblog - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:37 AM

Wrist injuries are very touchy. Just ask Jose Bautista. Would not surprise me is Teixeira comes back in May, Aggravates the injury and is forced into season ending surgery. Hope I’m wrong.

3. pisano - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Hopefully he doesn’t rush back, this team is in dire straights at this point, it’s very early, but they have absolutely nothing, no hitting, no pitching, and a lot of injuries.

4. sdelmonte - Apr 4, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Seems like half the injuries in sports take half the time expected to heal, and the other half take three times as long.

5. bigharold - Apr 4, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Frankly, while no Yankee fan could be happy with losing the first two games, and to be sure these games count too, but I think there is a lot of unwarranted worry out there right now. All the Yankees need do at this point is not let the division get away from them. If, Jeter, Teixeria, Garnderson get back and are hitting as expected by June, things should start getting better. Then the Yankees get A-Rod back and healthy by the All Star Break and are still in contention they should be fine.

There is a lot Schadenfreude out there by fans that have been on the business end of the Yankees for nearly the last two decades. It’s understandable and to be expected. Let’em have their fun. But, it doesn’t change the reality, . if the Yankees get their bats back and are not 15 games in the hole they are the team to beat.

I know Girardi doesn’t like looking at it this way but if the current line up can keep them in the hunt, things should start getting steadily better as the season wears on. If at the end of the season the Yankees win the division again it’ll be that much more sweeter for Yankee fans considering the outlook at the beginning of the season.

• spudchukar - Apr 4, 2013 at 12:06 PM

But that is the point. They will be so far behind, and by behind I mean all four division rivals, that catching up when finally healthy will be a task that I doubt they can muster. Their schedule is brutal. All of April is challenging, then a couple of week in May with some breathers, but then the next 6 weeks is severe.

Hard to see how they won’t be a dozen games out by July 1st. And Texiera is fooling himself with this “return by May 1st talk”. He has a muscle sheath tear, and he is nuts to rush a return. If he pushes it, he will be lucky to see any significant action before September.

• bigharold - Apr 4, 2013 at 6:41 PM

“… They will be so far behind ..”

My point is that is not a foregone conclusion. Older teams get off to sower starts and this is not unlike recent Yankee teams. The key point is if the Yankees hitters come back and perform anywhere near expected they not only will be OK they could have a relatively well rested line up going into the late season.

The Yankees need to get their big bats back, healthy, performing as expected and ASAP. If they can do that AND not be 12 games in the hole they are the team to beat in the AL East. The rest of the “non-Universe” may scoff but that is a potential reality. There are no clearly dominant teams in the AL East and until the Yankees actually tank, .. they haven’t.

But for all of those revealing the Schadenfreude, .. enjoy it whilst you can! Here comes the Death Star/Borg. Prepare to have you plant destroyed or be assimilated!

• spudchukar - Apr 4, 2013 at 7:39 PM

Where is the logic. You seem to acknowledge that the Yankees suck now, and will do so, quite likely until June, and most likely won’t be back to full strength until July. So why would you believe they won’t be a dozen back. I just don’t get it. I’m not a Yankee hater, but right now I recognize the team they are fielding is awful, cannot compete with any of the division rivals, and should lose more than they should win, and win that happens you end up 12 back.

• bigharold - Apr 4, 2013 at 8:37 PM

“You seem to acknowledge that the Yankees suck now,..”

No I don’t at all. I think their line up is untested, at a minimum, and unproven with significant question marks. It remains to be seen if they can keep the Yankees in contention.

I think the Yankee rotation is pretty good, shaded only by perhaps the Rays. I think the Yankee pen is better than any team in the AL East. The only position I’m concerned about their defense is SS because Nunez is a great hitter, very fast and athletic but it worries me every time the ball is hit his way.

“I recognize the team they are fielding is awful, cannot compete with any of the division rivals,..”

Well I don’t! There is no dominant team in the AL East. I think the O’s will be good but I don’t think they’ll be 29-8 in close games. The Rays still have a great rotation but their pen, .. not so much. And, their line up is weaker. The Jays, have added players, have a better manager and Bautista should be healthy the entire year. But, before I’d concede that they’ve made up 22 games I’d have to see it first. And, despite the first two games of the season the RS ARE NOT better than the Yankees, .. which will be evident before September.

All the Yankees need do is get healthy while avoiding digging themselves an insurmountable hole. And, I not only think that possible but likely! It’s day three of the season, .. and my money is on the Yankees at the moment.

• spudchukar - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Sorry BH, but I do not see how you can suggest that the current Yankee line-up can win more than they lose, and one of your competitors is bound to get to 10 games over .500 before the Yankees get healthy and all the rest of the AL East has a better chance to play .500 ball than the pinstripes, and that places New York in last, 10 out and 4 teams to hurdle, just can’t see how it can play out any differently.

6. vallewho - Apr 4, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I see this ending badly….

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3102)