Apr 4, 2013, 6:35 PM EST
After dropping the first two games of the season to the Red Sox, Yankees manager Joe Girardi has made some changes to his lineup for tonight’s series finale against right-hander Ryan Dempster.
Yankees lineup vs. Red Sox: Gardner 8 Cano 4 Youkilis 5 Hafner DH Wells 7 Ichiro 9 Nunez 6 Overbay 3 Cervelli 2 Pettitte LHP—
Bryan Hoch (@BryanHoch) April 04, 2013
The top three hitters in the Yankees’ lineup went just 2-for-23 over the first two games. Girardi told Brian Heyman of the Journal News that the changes were strategic, as he wants to break up the string of left-handers in the top of the lineup. Girardi used Brett Gardner, Ichiro Suzuki and Robinson Cano out of the first three spots in last night’s 7-4 loss.
Cano batted second in Game 2 of the ALCS against the Tigers last October, but he hasn’t been there in a regular season game since September 10, 2010. Hey, desperate times.
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 54
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 20
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 256
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (255)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)