Apr 4, 2013, 6:35 PM EDT
After dropping the first two games of the season to the Red Sox, Yankees manager Joe Girardi has made some changes to his lineup for tonight’s series finale against right-hander Ryan Dempster.
Yankees lineup vs. Red Sox: Gardner 8 Cano 4 Youkilis 5 Hafner DH Wells 7 Ichiro 9 Nunez 6 Overbay 3 Cervelli 2 Pettitte LHP—
Bryan Hoch (@BryanHoch) April 04, 2013
The top three hitters in the Yankees’ lineup went just 2-for-23 over the first two games. Girardi told Brian Heyman of the Journal News that the changes were strategic, as he wants to break up the string of left-handers in the top of the lineup. Girardi used Brett Gardner, Ichiro Suzuki and Robinson Cano out of the first three spots in last night’s 7-4 loss.
Cano batted second in Game 2 of the ALCS against the Tigers last October, but he hasn’t been there in a regular season game since September 10, 2010. Hey, desperate times.
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 6
- Cliff Lee exits start with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 11
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 133
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)