“The Rays Way” also involves some awful, awful celebrating

Apr 4, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT

Pitbull

From Marc Topkin’s story about how the Rays celebrated Matt Joyce‘s walkoff homer last night:

And once Joyce got done with his onfield interview with Todd Kalas and made it back into the clubhouse, things got even crazier, as the newcomers got to see how the Rays celebrate a win.

The disco ball was spinning, strobe lights flashing, Pitbull’s Don’t Stop the Party was blaring, then Joyce pulled the cord to light the Captain Morgan light in the corner of the clubhouse.

Know that old saying about what happens in the clubhouse stays in the clubhouse? Wish that rule could be retroactively — and forcefully — applied to the Rays.

Pitbull? Really?

1. Sorbet Te Charta Saccus - Apr 4, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Craig, when you say “Pitbull? Really” what you are really saying is “GET OFF MY LAWN!!”. That’s a great club song and Pitbull is a very good artist. He’s no LL Cool J, but really, in today’s rap world, who is?

• cur68 - Apr 4, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Craig & I disagree vehemently on music. He, for some unknown reason, doesn’t like Rush (or, perhaps the better term, does not like them ENOUGH). I feel this is due to Geddy Lee’s AWESOME hair. Geddy subscribes to the notion that “curls gets the girls” whereas Craig’s been forced to go with “Lemon Pledge For That High Class Chine” (mother nature can be cruel). However, he’s not ALWAYS wrong. In this case he’s bang on. Pitbull is arse.

• vansloot - Apr 4, 2013 at 3:36 PM

That “unknown reason” he doesn’t like Rush is probably that he has common sense and at least a modicum of good taste.

• cur68 - Apr 4, 2013 at 3:41 PM

It’s Hair Jealousy, and if you believe anything else you aint seen Ole Lex Luthor there in action.

• natstowngreg - Apr 4, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Hair Fight!!!

Or, is this about Rush being from Beaver Land? Or, is this just another pointless Hall of Fame argument? This inquiring mind wants to know.

• indaburg - Apr 4, 2013 at 2:17 PM

You’re joking, right? I love hip hop. I even like dubstep and some techno. Pitbull is designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator. No es bueno.

• Sorbet Te Charta Saccus - Apr 4, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Sue me ;) I love that song.

• indaburg - Apr 4, 2013 at 2:29 PM

That’s ok. I have some guilty pleasures that I will never admit are on my iPod. :-)

• Sorbet Te Charta Saccus - Apr 4, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Some of the songs I have heard crap about having on my iPod…

Wonderful by Adam Ant

Wicked Game by Chris Issac

Any of the 15 songs by Coldplay

Any of the 5 songs by Adele

Somebody I Used to Know/We Are Young/Pumped Up Kicks usually get mocked together

• indaburg - Apr 4, 2013 at 2:46 PM

The worst by a long shot is the Theme from Mortal Kombat. I know it’s cheesy as all hell, but it gets me so pumped doing cardio. “Kano… Liu Kang… Raiden… Johnny Cage…Scorpion…Sub-Zero…Sonya… FIGHT!”

• nightman13 - Apr 4, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I’m with you indaburg

• Charles Gates - Apr 4, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Foster The People is like the flu– it sure is catchy, but it’s not good for you. I would think that Pitbull is quite similar, though admittedly that bug hasn’t bitten me yet.

• Sorbet Te Charta Saccus - Apr 4, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Damn, pitbull is less popular on HBT than Murray Chass, Jon Heyman, and Jeffrey Loria combined.

• bigmeechy74 - Apr 4, 2013 at 4:58 PM

A “very good artist”…. Really dude?

• kollin7 - Apr 4, 2013 at 8:02 PM

-Dale
      -Miami
      -EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

There I made a Pitbull song.

2. cur68 - Apr 4, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Pitbull? Really? So “The Rays Way” = “No Damn Taste”? I thought “No Run Support” was bad, but jeez….

• Francisco (FC) - Apr 4, 2013 at 5:53 PM

No Run Support sounds like a great name for a rock band.

3. indaburg - Apr 4, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Maddon is way too hip for that. I’m sure the Rays do all of that ironically.

4. unclemosesgreen - Apr 4, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Pitbull – can’t rap, can’t sing, can’t dance. What is it he does exactly? Oh yeah – dresses pretty. Hype man market = closer market. So overpaid.

• nightman13 - Apr 4, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Well from the picture above, I can deduce that Pitbull does impersonate a pedophile extremely well.

5. nolanwiffle - Apr 4, 2013 at 2:23 PM

WWJSD (What would James Shields Do?)

• indaburg - Apr 4, 2013 at 2:28 PM

James Shields loves Rammstein. Du Hast is his song.

• anthonyverna - Apr 5, 2013 at 1:18 AM

What would Buffy Sainte-Marie Do?

6. asimonetti88 - Apr 4, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Pitbull has some good songs, but it is usually because he has talented artists on his songs with him. If you look at all his popular songs, he tends to be the least talented person on the track. Nothing different with Dont Stop the Party. TJR’s Funky Vodka, which is sampled as the beat, is an absolute banger and a very catchy and fun song. It is about a million times better than Pitbull’s song, but the fact it is still there makes the Pitbull version ok with me.

7. mudhead123 - Apr 4, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Rush is a terrible terrible excuse for music. I thought it was a woman lead singer for years

• Sorbet Te Charta Saccus - Apr 4, 2013 at 2:37 PM

LOL

• shawnuel - Apr 4, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I don’t mind Rush (liked them a lot when I was 15) but Geddy Lee’s voice DOES sound like “snip and fix” time at the kennel.

8. 13arod - Apr 4, 2013 at 2:43 PM

pitbull is my favorite singer he makes awesome songs

• cur68 - Apr 4, 2013 at 2:47 PM

U r not h3lping

• paperlions - Apr 4, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Sure s/he is, when have you ever read a 13arod post and nodded your head in agreement? It isn’t just how many people agree with you that can support a position, but also the identity of those who disagree.

• Gamera the Brave - Apr 4, 2013 at 2:59 PM

cur,
        you just made me spit Diet Coke out my nose…
        Worst.
        Spit Take.
        Ever…

• indaburg - Apr 4, 2013 at 3:04 PM

LMAO

What Gamera said.

• abaird2012 - Apr 5, 2013 at 8:24 AM

Why am I not surprised?

9. bravojawja - Apr 4, 2013 at 3:43 PM

Is that the picture of that guy in that crappy ad with the crappy song for the crappy beer? He’s an actual “artist”? I thought he was some caricature of a DJ like Captain Morgan is a caricature of rum.

10. tfbuckfutter - Apr 4, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Disco ball, huh?

If anyone really starts digging into the “Gay player” storyline….I wouldn’t want to have been the guy who suggested that.

11. cuzzisaidso - Apr 4, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Hey craig, just once, put something up that is worth reading.

12. Kevin Gillman - Apr 4, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I wonder if James Shields and BJ Upton would approve that celebration? “Ray Way” indeed.

13. moogro - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:39 PM

Yea, Craig comes off as grumpy. Think it through: how do you curate a perfect song for a locker room? Nobody would agree or care, or appreciate it anyway, so all bets are off. Play whatever. Life is not like the movies. Besides, these are baseball people, not music people. (Re: See some of Gleeman’s picks.)

14. natslady - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Read through all the comments and BOY am I glad I have NO IDEA what y’all are talking about.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet