Vladimir Guerrero signs with the Long Island Ducks

Apr 4, 2013, 7:47 PM EDT

Baltimore Orioles v Detroit Tigers Getty Images

Vlad is back. Well, sort of. According to FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal, nine-time All-Star Vladimir Guerrero has signed with the Long Island Ducks of the independent Atlantic League.

Guerrero, 38, hasn’t played in the majors since 2011 when he batted .290/.317/.416 with 13 home runs and a .733 OPS with the Orioles. He signed a minor league deal with the Blue Jays last May and hit .358 (19-for-53) with four home runs and a 1.043 OPS in 12 games between High-A Dunedin and Triple-A Las Vegas, but was cut loose after he issued an ultimatum to be called up to the majors or released.

There was a report last month that Guerrero was aiming to make a comeback and hoped to land somewhere on a minor league deal, but apparently he was unable to drum up much interest. Now the former American League MVP will try to impress MLB teams in indy ball.

1. tfbuckfutter - Apr 4, 2013 at 7:54 PM

It’s sad to see someone fall so far, but it’s not sad when they play for a team like this just because they love the game.

I don’t know which category it is when they are only doing it because they are futilely hoping to get back to the majors.

• kiwicricket - Apr 4, 2013 at 8:05 PM

I just hope he isn’t broke, as that would upset me.

• iman228 - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:23 PM

I happen to know Vlad personally and have to tell you the last thing he is is broke. He is from my dads home town in DR. This man was smart has many businesses from night club, supermarket, farm land and his last project is his own baseball field. Broke he is not.

• iman228 - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:23 PM

How about the love of the game.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 4, 2013 at 10:56 PM

Gee.

Don’t know why I didn’t think of that when I posted my original thoughts.

That would have been a nice addition had I thought about it and clearly typed it out.

2. badintent - Apr 4, 2013 at 8:20 PM

$20 bucks get you a ticket, hotdog and beer at Duck games !! Best sports $$ value in NY.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 4, 2013 at 8:32 PM

Except for one thing….

The games mean nothing.

3. dondada10 - Apr 4, 2013 at 8:26 PM

“Guerrero, 38″

lol

4. chill1184 - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:04 PM

I remember the days seeing Guerrero in an Expos uniform at Shea. I cant believe its been that long

5. randygnyc - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:24 PM

My brothers played for the ducks 10 years ago

6. dadawg77 - Apr 4, 2013 at 9:54 PM

Should we add him to the of Hall Famers who continue to play in the minors well after his MLB career was over? What was his highest yearly salary in 2012 dollars?

7. ryanrockzzz - Apr 5, 2013 at 7:29 AM

The crazy thing is, he is still better then a bunch of players on MLB rosters now. If he was say,30 and not 38ish lol, he would have spot on a roster right now.

8. adge84 - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:23 PM

A team like the rays should still give him a shot. The possible pros far outweigh the possible cons. Just cut him if he sucks. They need a dh anyway

Three legends off to Cooperstown