Apr 4, 2013, 7:47 PM EST
Guerrero, 38, hasn’t played in the majors since 2011 when he batted .290/.317/.416 with 13 home runs and a .733 OPS with the Orioles. He signed a minor league deal with the Blue Jays last May and hit .358 (19-for-53) with four home runs and a 1.043 OPS in 12 games between High-A Dunedin and Triple-A Las Vegas, but was cut loose after he issued an ultimatum to be called up to the majors or released.
There was a report last month that Guerrero was aiming to make a comeback and hoped to land somewhere on a minor league deal, but apparently he was unable to drum up much interest. Now the former American League MVP will try to impress MLB teams in indy ball.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)