Apr 4, 2013, 4:31 PM EDT
Derek Jeter told everyone he was on his usual schedule for spring training and that ended up not being the case. Then some folks have said that he may be back by mid-April, but that seems not to be the case now either. Jon Heyman reports that the new target is May 1.
Jeter was able to begin playing catch earlier this week but still hasn’t done any sort of infield work or running. At this point the goal should be to make sure he’s available continuously for the bulk of the season rather than to get him back as soon as possible for its own sake.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 3
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 23
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 183
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)