Apr 4, 2013, 4:31 PM EDT
Derek Jeter told everyone he was on his usual schedule for spring training and that ended up not being the case. Then some folks have said that he may be back by mid-April, but that seems not to be the case now either. Jon Heyman reports that the new target is May 1.
Jeter was able to begin playing catch earlier this week but still hasn’t done any sort of infield work or running. At this point the goal should be to make sure he’s available continuously for the bulk of the season rather than to get him back as soon as possible for its own sake.
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 56
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 43
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry (88)