Apr 5, 2013, 8:52 AM EDT
That’s not exactly the phrasing the writers of the linked story use — they use a colorful metaphor that starts with “a” and ends in “hole” and which we here at HBT would never, ever say ourselves — but you get the idea.
Now, granted, this comes from Mother Jones, which comes at things from a way left perspective, so you may differ as to the relative evil occasioned by acts of team owners. For example, when Royals owner /Wal-Mart CEO David Glass was asked about child labor and said “you and I might, perhaps, define children differently,” you may view that as a positive message of empowerment for kids in Bangladesh who are bucking the liberal claptrap about how they should be in school or off playing someplace rather than assembling things that help someone in Iowa cook their bacon faster as opposed to something truly monstrous. That’s not for me to decide!
I will say, though: learning that Al Gore once called Liberty Media CEO/Braves owner John Malone “Darth Vader” actually makes me like Malone way more than I used to, so this stuff can be complicated.
Lots of fun facts about team owners I never knew before here. But I gotta tell ya, reading this, I almost get the idea that if you have some money and run a business, Mother Jones is gonna think you’re an a-hole. Just a gut feeling.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 113
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 155
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (172)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (155)