Apr 5, 2013, 8:52 AM EST
That’s not exactly the phrasing the writers of the linked story use — they use a colorful metaphor that starts with “a” and ends in “hole” and which we here at HBT would never, ever say ourselves — but you get the idea.
Now, granted, this comes from Mother Jones, which comes at things from a way left perspective, so you may differ as to the relative evil occasioned by acts of team owners. For example, when Royals owner /Wal-Mart CEO David Glass was asked about child labor and said “you and I might, perhaps, define children differently,” you may view that as a positive message of empowerment for kids in Bangladesh who are bucking the liberal claptrap about how they should be in school or off playing someplace rather than assembling things that help someone in Iowa cook their bacon faster as opposed to something truly monstrous. That’s not for me to decide!
I will say, though: learning that Al Gore once called Liberty Media CEO/Braves owner John Malone “Darth Vader” actually makes me like Malone way more than I used to, so this stuff can be complicated.
Lots of fun facts about team owners I never knew before here. But I gotta tell ya, reading this, I almost get the idea that if you have some money and run a business, Mother Jones is gonna think you’re an a-hole. Just a gut feeling.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 8
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 272
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 114
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (275)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)