Apr 5, 2013, 8:52 AM EST
That’s not exactly the phrasing the writers of the linked story use — they use a colorful metaphor that starts with “a” and ends in “hole” and which we here at HBT would never, ever say ourselves — but you get the idea.
Now, granted, this comes from Mother Jones, which comes at things from a way left perspective, so you may differ as to the relative evil occasioned by acts of team owners. For example, when Royals owner /Wal-Mart CEO David Glass was asked about child labor and said “you and I might, perhaps, define children differently,” you may view that as a positive message of empowerment for kids in Bangladesh who are bucking the liberal claptrap about how they should be in school or off playing someplace rather than assembling things that help someone in Iowa cook their bacon faster as opposed to something truly monstrous. That’s not for me to decide!
I will say, though: learning that Al Gore once called Liberty Media CEO/Braves owner John Malone “Darth Vader” actually makes me like Malone way more than I used to, so this stuff can be complicated.
Lots of fun facts about team owners I never knew before here. But I gotta tell ya, reading this, I almost get the idea that if you have some money and run a business, Mother Jones is gonna think you’re an a-hole. Just a gut feeling.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)