Apr 5, 2013, 9:30 PM EST
There was a report last month that the Indians were discussing a multi-year contract extension with Jason Kipnis, but the second baseman told Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer today that talks have stopped for the time being.
“Once the regular season started, the negotiations stopped,” said Kipnis before Friday’s game against the Rays. “We didn’t want the distraction during the season. I think they felt the same way.”
Kipnis barely has one year of major league service under his belt and likely won’t qualify for arbitration for the first time until after the 2014 season, so there isn’t a huge sense of urgency to get a deal done right now. However, the Indians clearly view him as a big part of their future. The 26-year-old batted .255/.335/.379 with 14 home runs, 76 RBI, 31 stolen bases and a .714 OPS in 152 games last season. He plans to talk with the club again after the season.
The Indians were also reportedly discussing an extension with left fielder Michael Brantley, but it’s not clear if those talks have also been tabled.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 77
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 34
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)