Apr 5, 2013, 9:30 PM EDT
There was a report last month that the Indians were discussing a multi-year contract extension with Jason Kipnis, but the second baseman told Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer today that talks have stopped for the time being.
“Once the regular season started, the negotiations stopped,” said Kipnis before Friday’s game against the Rays. “We didn’t want the distraction during the season. I think they felt the same way.”
Kipnis barely has one year of major league service under his belt and likely won’t qualify for arbitration for the first time until after the 2014 season, so there isn’t a huge sense of urgency to get a deal done right now. However, the Indians clearly view him as a big part of their future. The 26-year-old batted .255/.335/.379 with 14 home runs, 76 RBI, 31 stolen bases and a .714 OPS in 152 games last season. He plans to talk with the club again after the season.
The Indians were also reportedly discussing an extension with left fielder Michael Brantley, but it’s not clear if those talks have also been tabled.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)