Josh Hamilton has miserable return to Texas in Angels’ loss

Apr 5, 2013, 6:19 PM EDT

Texas Rangers fans hold signs mocking Los Angeles Angels' Josh Hamilton in Arlington, Texas Reuters

Josh Hamilton had no answer for the boos that rained down in his return to Arlington on Friday; the former AL MVP went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts and a couple of misplays in right field as the Angels lost to the Rangers 3-2.

Adrian Beltre hit a game-tying homer for Texas in the seventh, and Ian Kinsler singled in Craig Gentry for the go-ahead run in the eighth.

The Angels got nothing out of their vaunted middle-of-the-order today, as Albert Pujols, Hamilton and Mark Trumbo combined to go 0-for-10 with two walks.

Besides struggling at the plate, Hamilton had a tough time in right field.

Hamilton turned A.J. Pierzynski‘s double into a triple in the second inning and later got a late jump on Lance Berkman‘s fly to shallow right in the fifth. The ball dropped out of the reach of both Hamilton and second baseman Howie Kendrick, and Berkman was credited with a double.

Hamilton is now 1-for-16 with eight strikeouts this season. His one hit Thursday did drive in two runs.

Hamilton spent five years with the Rangers before signing a five-year, $125 million contract with the Angels in the offseason. He won AL MVP honors in 2010 and hit 43 homers and drove in 128 runs last year,

1. asimonetti88 - Apr 5, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Angels played poorly today. They need to shake it off and pick it up tomorrow because I’m gonna be watching.

• sportsfanjay - Apr 5, 2013 at 6:36 PM

That’s sure to motivate em. SoCal thanks you.

• asimonetti88 - Apr 5, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Thanks, I’m trying my hardest.

• hittfamily - Apr 5, 2013 at 7:59 PM

I’m thumbs upping this just cause I like your style.

2. blacksables - Apr 5, 2013 at 6:24 PM

I’ll buy you a diamond ring my friend
    If it makes you feel all right
    I’ll get you anything my friend
    If it makes you feel all right
    Cause I don’t care too much for money
    For money can’t buy me love

• blacksables - Apr 5, 2013 at 6:25 PM

Can’t buy me love
      Everybody tells me so
      Can’t buy me love
      No, no, no, no

3. revansrevenant - Apr 5, 2013 at 6:24 PM

If I were a Rangers fan, I would have burned my Hamilton jersey as well, had I owned one. Leaving a team for a payday is one thing. Shooting off your mouth on your way out the door is unconscionable.

4. Kevin Gillman - Apr 5, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Here’s the thing, Josh should never have been upset at the fans, but rather for the organization that didn’t even offer him a contract before bolting for money. The boos clearly affected him, but he should have expected it. So was Hamilton spouting off at the Texas fans pure arrogance or pure stupidity?

5. fearlessleader - Apr 5, 2013 at 7:02 PM

I’m going to begin compiling the All-Free-Agents-Who-Pissed-Off-Their-Former-Cities Team. The Angels already have the three and four spots in the lineup locked down.

6. onbucky96 - Apr 5, 2013 at 7:13 PM

I thought he went were God told him to go. As in In God We Trust, printed on every dollar he’s paid. So I blame Jesus.

7. miketreedy - Apr 5, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Hamilton is on pace for a 324 strikeout season. Maybe he stayed out last too late at Sherlocks last night.

8. hittfamily - Apr 5, 2013 at 7:39 PM

It was a day game, so it was probably his blue eyes giving him trouble. Or maybe it was his tobacco problem. Maybe his Tampa Bay crack habit showed up again. Maybe it was because the Angels didn’t bring along his personal accountabilibuddy. Or maybe it was his sins against god. I don’t know. The dude has a different excuse every year when he gets into a slump.

9. halohonk - Apr 5, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Our pitching staff has done a pretty good job keeping us in these ballgames. Richards made the mistake to Beltre on a 1-2 pitch and the same with Downs to Kinsler. 4 one run ballgames on the road to start the year could have gone either way. The big boys will start to hit just a matter of time. Very encouraged by the pitching even though we are 1-3. I think Scioscia needs to do a better job managing.Making some rookie mistakes and going to the bullpen to early. He did a bad job last yr and already starting down that road again. Still early.

10. losanginsight - Apr 5, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Everyone knows cracked out Hamilton isn’t effective during day games. Jalos are going to have 2 undesirable contracts in 3 years.

11. drubyy1993 - Apr 5, 2013 at 10:38 PM

But texas is a football town

12. tampajoey2 - Apr 5, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Josh Hamilton is an a$$hole. Unnecessarily disrespecting the Dallas-Fort Worth area and the Rangers fans at every opportunity. All those drugs killed to many of his brain cells. I hope he continues to suck all season.

13. sportfan2 - Apr 5, 2013 at 11:18 PM

After the way he played late last year he deserved the boo’s.

14. jessethegreat - Apr 6, 2013 at 12:59 AM

How cool would it be to be a crack dealer in Anaheim in about 3 months when Josh is fiending for something that can make him see the ball again. Going to laugh when a tattoo shop opens up across from the stadium down there.

This tool is going to make Ryan Howard’s contract look like a bargain after he checks out before his 1st season in Anaheim is up like he did last year in Arlington.

15. saintez - Apr 6, 2013 at 2:20 AM

You dudes need to chill. Wishing Hamilton would go back to drugs? Really? Warped.
    Get over it. People move on.

16. jessethegreat - Apr 6, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Saintez, no one wished he’d pick up the needle again, we’re all just stating that it is obvious and inevitable. Unless the guy is coddled and surrounded by baby sitters 24-7, he is going to use again.

Hamilton’s ego is too big to believe he can’t just use occasionally and be a productive player still.

17. spudchukar - Apr 6, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Hey, if you are looking for a Classy fan base, go no further than Arlington.

18. chacochicken - Apr 6, 2013 at 10:34 AM

True fans cheer on their team not go to ridiculous lengths to boo a former player. They should also be reminded they have Nelson Cruz “playing” in right field.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5030)