Apr 5, 2013, 11:34 PM EDT
Josh Hamilton knew the boos were coming in his return to Arlington on Friday, but he was still disappointed by much of what he heard in the Rangers’ 3-2 win over the Angels.
“It probably hurts a little bit more to know that people would just turn that quickly,” Hamilton said. “You know, to think that they kind of supported you, as far as personally, [my] story, things like that. But it just tells you a lot.”
Hamilton also admitted to being anxious while striking out in his first two at-bats. And since he knows some of the ire today was generated with comments he made about Dallas not being a baseball town, he did play along, mimicking throwing a football and making a handoff.
Still, the money quote from today’s festivities will be the one in which Hamilton supposedly compared himself to Jesus. Though he didn’t really do that. According to the Dallas Morning News, the story went like this:
Hamilton said that during the game someone in the Angels dugout, whom he declined to identify, offered a supportive message.
“He said, ‘Where was Jesus got-after the most?’” Hamilton recalled. “He said, ‘His hometown.’ Obviously, baseball-wise, this was my hometown.”
Hamilton finished the game 0-for-4 and had a couple of misplays in right field. He still has two more days off boos coming this weekend.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 25
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 142
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)