Apr 5, 2013, 11:34 PM EST
Josh Hamilton knew the boos were coming in his return to Arlington on Friday, but he was still disappointed by much of what he heard in the Rangers’ 3-2 win over the Angels.
“It probably hurts a little bit more to know that people would just turn that quickly,” Hamilton said. “You know, to think that they kind of supported you, as far as personally, [my] story, things like that. But it just tells you a lot.”
Hamilton also admitted to being anxious while striking out in his first two at-bats. And since he knows some of the ire today was generated with comments he made about Dallas not being a baseball town, he did play along, mimicking throwing a football and making a handoff.
Still, the money quote from today’s festivities will be the one in which Hamilton supposedly compared himself to Jesus. Though he didn’t really do that. According to the Dallas Morning News, the story went like this:
Hamilton said that during the game someone in the Angels dugout, whom he declined to identify, offered a supportive message.
“He said, ‘Where was Jesus got-after the most?’” Hamilton recalled. “He said, ‘His hometown.’ Obviously, baseball-wise, this was my hometown.”
Hamilton finished the game 0-for-4 and had a couple of misplays in right field. He still has two more days off boos coming this weekend.
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 25
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 30
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 94
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)