Apr 5, 2013, 11:34 PM EDT
Josh Hamilton knew the boos were coming in his return to Arlington on Friday, but he was still disappointed by much of what he heard in the Rangers’ 3-2 win over the Angels.
“It probably hurts a little bit more to know that people would just turn that quickly,” Hamilton said. “You know, to think that they kind of supported you, as far as personally, [my] story, things like that. But it just tells you a lot.”
Hamilton also admitted to being anxious while striking out in his first two at-bats. And since he knows some of the ire today was generated with comments he made about Dallas not being a baseball town, he did play along, mimicking throwing a football and making a handoff.
Still, the money quote from today’s festivities will be the one in which Hamilton supposedly compared himself to Jesus. Though he didn’t really do that. According to the Dallas Morning News, the story went like this:
Hamilton said that during the game someone in the Angels dugout, whom he declined to identify, offered a supportive message.
“He said, ‘Where was Jesus got-after the most?’” Hamilton recalled. “He said, ‘His hometown.’ Obviously, baseball-wise, this was my hometown.”
Hamilton finished the game 0-for-4 and had a couple of misplays in right field. He still has two more days off boos coming this weekend.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 5
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)