Major League Baseball dismisses one of the defendants in the Biogenesis lawsuit

Apr 5, 2013, 1:02 PM EDT

lawsuit gavel

A press release from Major League Baseball:

Major League Baseball announced today that, based on new information, Defendant Paulo da Silveira, represented by attorneys Daniel Zumpano and Emil Infante of Infante Zumpano LLC, was dismissed with prejudice from the Complaint, filed on March 22, 2013 in the Circuit Court for the Eleventh Judicial Circuit in and for Miami-Dade County, as he had no connection to Biogenesis or to the alleged distribution of performance enhancing substances to Major League players.

It’s almost as if Major League Baseball didn’t really think too hard before filing this lawsuit and, instead, just fired off something hasty and ill-conceived. Shocking, I know.

My previous takes on this lawsuit are here and here.

1. El Bravo - Apr 5, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Isn’t this typical for Plaintiffs? Name a bunch of defs to cover their bases so to speak? Ha, baseball pun.

• historiophiliac - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:15 PM

…and defendants and investigators. Make them prove they aren’t a proper party. You want to cast your net wide at first and then narrow it down.

• El Bravo - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Exactly. Deal with such nonsense routinely at my lame-o job.

• historiophiliac - Apr 5, 2013 at 3:49 PM

I seriously had a complainant once who demanded I prove who they worked for so they could file a lawsuit properly…seriously.

• El Bravo - Apr 5, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Wait, we work at the same place! ;)

• historiophiliac - Apr 5, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Get to work, govm’nt employee.

• El Bravo - Apr 5, 2013 at 4:10 PM

HAHAHAHA! We do NOT work at the same place then…

2. DelawarePhilliesFan - Apr 5, 2013 at 1:21 PM

I agree with El Bravo (ugh, feels bizare saying that).

Regardless of what you think of the merit of the case, doesn’t it make sense to name everyone you can?

• El Bravo - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:41 PM

You can call me daddy if that makes it any easier to write/say.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Apr 5, 2013 at 3:05 PM

I’ll call you Al (smack yourself if you don’t get the reference)

• El Bravo - Apr 5, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I smacked myself, then did research. If Paul Simon is your reference then smack yourself.

• historiophiliac - Apr 5, 2013 at 3:51 PM

Hey, that was a fun album.

• natstowngreg - Apr 5, 2013 at 6:36 PM

It’s on my iPod. Not that it means anything.

Also liked the video (with Chevy Chase). Back when they had something called “music videos,” and there was a cable channel devoted to showing these things called “music videos.” Kids, ask your parents.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Apr 5, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Smack!

@natstown – too funny, because after all this, I was thinking “gotta see that video again”. I forgot how funny it all was. Great contrast of how animated Chevy was, and “bored” Paul was

3. paperlions - Apr 5, 2013 at 1:21 PM

This really makes me wonder if I should check to make sure I am not a named defendant. If having “no connection to Biogenesis or to the alleged distribution of performance enhancing substances to Major League players” was still sufficient to get Silveira names…well, shit…that describes my association with Biogenesis and MLB as well.

• heyblueyoustink - Apr 5, 2013 at 1:30 PM

With a little help, we can make that happen :-)

• paperlions - Apr 5, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I appreciate the sentiment, alas, Biogenesis is no more, my opportunity has slipped by.

• heyblueyoustink - Apr 5, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Oh I don’t know, with the government involved, anything is possible, just ask Montalvo.

• historiophiliac - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Turn him in. You have that missing sheet from the notebook, remember? Add some other names for fun, while you’re at it. Any players on opposing teams in your division you want investigated?

• heyblueyoustink - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:33 PM

( I meant Monsanto, not Montalvo, sheesh, brain vapor lock of the week )

And you, mon chere, might be onto something. Maybe if I can find an unemployed one arm man with a certain skill set.

4. Old Gator - Apr 5, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I’m really enjoying this entire Bufogenesis bagatelle. It will, I have no doubt, get even sillier as it goes along. That’s….entertainment.

Craig’s training in Gowachin jurisprudence will surely help him evaluate this nonsensical case even more than his Earthling legal background. I’ve been re-reading The Dosadi Experiment in order to become a more nimble commentator on l’affaire Bufogenesis myself.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3155)