Apr 5, 2013, 10:21 PM EST
Sweeping the Marlins wasn’t much of a tuneup for tonight; the Nationals gave up a whopping six homers Friday in a 15-0 loss to the Reds.
Nationals pitchers had allowed just one run this season before Todd Frazier and Zack Cozart hit back-to-back jacks in the second inning tonight. Both would go deep again later in the contest, and Shin-Soo Choo and Xavier Paul added homers of their own in the rout.
Haren, making his regular-season Nationals debut, gave up four homers for the fifth time in his career. He’s never allowed more. His velocity hasn’t been what the Nationals were hoping for when they gave him a one-year, $13 million contract in the offseason, and he’s now given up 11 homers in 31 1/3 innings since the beginning of the spring.
The six homers was the most the Nationals have given up since the Expos moved to D.C. The franchise last surrendered six homers in a game against the Braves on July 7, 2004.
The Reds hit six homers for the first time since connecting on seven against the Padres on Aug. 13, 2011.
In addition to the barrage at the plate, the Reds got six scoreless innings from Homer Bailey. Cozart had his first career two-homer game, while Frazier delivered his second.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)