Apr 5, 2013, 10:21 PM EDT
Sweeping the Marlins wasn’t much of a tuneup for tonight; the Nationals gave up a whopping six homers Friday in a 15-0 loss to the Reds.
Nationals pitchers had allowed just one run this season before Todd Frazier and Zack Cozart hit back-to-back jacks in the second inning tonight. Both would go deep again later in the contest, and Shin-Soo Choo and Xavier Paul added homers of their own in the rout.
Haren, making his regular-season Nationals debut, gave up four homers for the fifth time in his career. He’s never allowed more. His velocity hasn’t been what the Nationals were hoping for when they gave him a one-year, $13 million contract in the offseason, and he’s now given up 11 homers in 31 1/3 innings since the beginning of the spring.
The six homers was the most the Nationals have given up since the Expos moved to D.C. The franchise last surrendered six homers in a game against the Braves on July 7, 2004.
The Reds hit six homers for the first time since connecting on seven against the Padres on Aug. 13, 2011.
In addition to the barrage at the plate, the Reds got six scoreless innings from Homer Bailey. Cozart had his first career two-homer game, while Frazier delivered his second.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)