Apr 5, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
Tony Cingrani made his first Triple-A start last night and the Reds prospect was about as good as a pitcher can be.
Cingrani, who ranks among MLB’s top 100 prospects according to both Baseball America and MLB.com, took a perfect game into the fifth inning and ended up exiting after six no-hit innings while striking out 14 of the 19 batters he faced.
He struck out the first seven batters and 13 of the first 15 batters, threw 55 of his 82 pitches for strikes, and only a leadoff walk in the sixth inning ruined his perfect game. And he also had some good quotes afterward, telling Danny Wild of MILB.com:
I was just throwing it up there, and they couldn’t hit it. I felt pretty good, the ball was coming out of my hand pretty well. … I just threw a bunch of fastballs and located wherever I wanted, just kept putting up zeros.
Last year Cingrani jumped from Double-A to the majors to make MLB debut in September and Aroldis Chapman remaining in the bullpen increases the 23-year-old left-hander’s odds of arriving in Cincinnati to stay at some point this season.
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 53
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 29
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 29
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 48
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (187)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)