Apr 5, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
Tony Cingrani made his first Triple-A start last night and the Reds prospect was about as good as a pitcher can be.
Cingrani, who ranks among MLB’s top 100 prospects according to both Baseball America and MLB.com, took a perfect game into the fifth inning and ended up exiting after six no-hit innings while striking out 14 of the 19 batters he faced.
He struck out the first seven batters and 13 of the first 15 batters, threw 55 of his 82 pitches for strikes, and only a leadoff walk in the sixth inning ruined his perfect game. And he also had some good quotes afterward, telling Danny Wild of MILB.com:
I was just throwing it up there, and they couldn’t hit it. I felt pretty good, the ball was coming out of my hand pretty well. … I just threw a bunch of fastballs and located wherever I wanted, just kept putting up zeros.
Last year Cingrani jumped from Double-A to the majors to make MLB debut in September and Aroldis Chapman remaining in the bullpen increases the 23-year-old left-hander’s odds of arriving in Cincinnati to stay at some point this season.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)