Apr 5, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
Tony Cingrani made his first Triple-A start last night and the Reds prospect was about as good as a pitcher can be.
Cingrani, who ranks among MLB’s top 100 prospects according to both Baseball America and MLB.com, took a perfect game into the fifth inning and ended up exiting after six no-hit innings while striking out 14 of the 19 batters he faced.
He struck out the first seven batters and 13 of the first 15 batters, threw 55 of his 82 pitches for strikes, and only a leadoff walk in the sixth inning ruined his perfect game. And he also had some good quotes afterward, telling Danny Wild of MILB.com:
I was just throwing it up there, and they couldn’t hit it. I felt pretty good, the ball was coming out of my hand pretty well. … I just threw a bunch of fastballs and located wherever I wanted, just kept putting up zeros.
Last year Cingrani jumped from Double-A to the majors to make MLB debut in September and Aroldis Chapman remaining in the bullpen increases the 23-year-old left-hander’s odds of arriving in Cincinnati to stay at some point this season.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 48
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 25
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 45
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)