Apr 5, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
Tony Cingrani made his first Triple-A start last night and the Reds prospect was about as good as a pitcher can be.
Cingrani, who ranks among MLB’s top 100 prospects according to both Baseball America and MLB.com, took a perfect game into the fifth inning and ended up exiting after six no-hit innings while striking out 14 of the 19 batters he faced.
He struck out the first seven batters and 13 of the first 15 batters, threw 55 of his 82 pitches for strikes, and only a leadoff walk in the sixth inning ruined his perfect game. And he also had some good quotes afterward, telling Danny Wild of MILB.com:
I was just throwing it up there, and they couldn’t hit it. I felt pretty good, the ball was coming out of my hand pretty well. … I just threw a bunch of fastballs and located wherever I wanted, just kept putting up zeros.
Last year Cingrani jumped from Double-A to the majors to make MLB debut in September and Aroldis Chapman remaining in the bullpen increases the 23-year-old left-hander’s odds of arriving in Cincinnati to stay at some point this season.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 19
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)