Rockies’ Juan Nicasio and Edgmer Escalona had a scuffle

Apr 5, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT

Old time boxer

Not quite Fisticuffsmanship, but not something you’d expect four days into the season either. From the Denver Post:

Edgmer Escalona and Juan Nicasio were separated after an argument quickly escalated during stretching exercises at the Rockies’ workout Thursday at Coors Field. Manager Walt Weiss talked with both pitchers and said he believes the issue is resolved.

It was apparently a physical confrontation, but no one is saying what the beef was that led to the scuffle. Since it was during stretching, logic dictates that Nicasio was bouncing as he worked on his hamstrings and Escalona told him that he needed to slowly and steadily increase how much he was stretching rather than bounce. Friendships can end over that stuff.

1. UgglasForearms - Apr 5, 2013 at 10:37 AM

You’re using my picture without permission. Take it down!

2. swill881 - Apr 5, 2013 at 10:41 AM

How does one pronounce Edgmer?

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Apr 5, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I would imagine most Rockies fans don’t know either

• kyzslew77 - Apr 5, 2013 at 12:23 PM

This Rockies fan does– “AY-murr.” Or at least that’s how our TV guys say it. No hard D or G sound.

3. El Bravo - Apr 5, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I imagine a silly pie fight with old-timey music that happens 20% faster than real time and its all captured in black & white. Maybe that’s the picture causing this imagery, but still, that’s what I’m imagining.

• chicitybulls - Apr 5, 2013 at 12:08 PM

The music should be the Benny Hill music. Yackitty Splits I think it’s called.

• El Bravo - Apr 5, 2013 at 12:11 PM

haha. this is true. nice handle by the way. chicity is my handle when commenting on the economist site! so tell me, when is rose coming back so i can buy my ticket to the UC. and yes, i’m a braves fan lost in chicago.

• chicitybulls - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:07 PM

Not sure. But I’m ok with him taking his time and making sure he’s right. Some fools (mostly media) are trying to pressure him but they have no rooting interest and are only interested in a story. Taj Gibson recently tried to come back too early and now he’s out again.

Funny, I moved from Chicago to Atlanta and lived there for about 6 months then moved. It was ok but I couldn’t stay there. It was an NL city and I wouldn’t be able to see my White Sox. lol.

• chicitybulls - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I’m in Dallas now.

4. unclemosesgreen - Apr 5, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Where’s Andy Martino when you need him to say that the clubhouse divided on national lines, Dominicans vs. Venezuelans.

And I had to look it up – it would be Nicasio, Wilin Rosario and Edwar Cabrera’s one good arm fighting against Escalona, Rafael Betancourt, Jhoulys Chacin, Wilton Lopez, Yorvit Torrealba, Jonathan Herrera and Carlos Gonzalez. So it would be Venezuela in a landslide. 7 Venezuelans on the 25-man roster – that seems like a lot.

Giants, Royals took unique paths to WS