Sounds like a Wrigley renovation deal is near

Apr 5, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT

Wrigley Field

The Cubs had set Opening Day as a deadline to reach an agreement with the city of Chicago about all the renovations the team wants to do. The idea being if nothing happened by then they would not be able to start turning dirt or smacking concrete with sledgehammers once the season ends.  Opening Day has passed, but the home opener is still ahead, and now the Sun-Times reports that a deal will be done by then.

The sticking points have been the amount of night games the Cubs can schedule — they will likely up it to 40 — and the presence of video boards in left field that may block the view of the fans on the rooftops across Waveland Avenue. The Sun-Times says that the team will be allowed to build the boards but that they won’t block the views as much as was feared. Underlying all of that, of course, is that the local alderman has the back of the people who own those buildings and make a mint letting people up there for games. The Cubs take a cut of that action too, but it sounds like that deal will eventually run its course and end.

It just makes too much sense for everyone to allow the Cubs to make major renovations to Wrigley so this deal was always in the cards. Just took a while to get here.

1. Alex K - Apr 5, 2013 at 10:17 AM

As long as the Ricketts are footing the bill I think this is a wonderful idea. I don’t want my tax dollars going to help a private business upgrade their facility no matter how much I love the laundry the workers wear, or the facility that they ply their trade.

• windycity0301 - Apr 5, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Don’t worry the Ricketts are footing the bill. However your tax dollars continue to go to helping a private business upgrade their facility. Besides signficantly help foot the bill for US Cellular, the state of IL went on to build a restaurant/bar there for the Sox as well as recently as last year.

• Alex K - Apr 5, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I’m aware the Ricketts are paying. I’m glad for that.

There is nothing to be done about any deal with the Sox. Can’t really put that toothpaste back in the tube.

• El Bravo - Apr 5, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Plus, for the umpteenth time, most of the rooftops are on the Sheffield side, not Waveland, as I know you are aware. Look at the space they have for the boards w/o even blocking anything but that damn ad.

• Alex K - Apr 5, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Also, rooftop owners need to get over it. The only reason they are making money is the Cubs. People will still pay to go up on the rooftop and eat and drink the day away.

2. hojo20 - Apr 5, 2013 at 11:15 AM

So lame that half the games will be at night. Part of the charm of Wrigley is day baseball.

• paperlions - Apr 5, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I suppose, but that charm is pretty much lost on the vast majority of Chicago fans with a job (excepting, of course, those that do shift work, who may be sleeping when the games are played anyway). Kind of hard to have season tickets until you retire, isn’t it?

• El Bravo - Apr 5, 2013 at 12:09 PM

I know a lot of season ticket holders where I work, they usually sell off most day games over our mass mailing daily email bulletins. I know this b/c I’m watching them lose to the Braves in Sept after purchasing a couple of those tix.

• paperlions - Apr 5, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Right, but if it was still back in the days of no night games, would those people still own season tickets and sell off every non-holiday and non-weekend game?

• El Bravo - Apr 5, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Nah, theyd just leave work, take their clients to the day games, puff cigars in the stands and tell old-timey stories and stuff…

• 18thstreet - Apr 5, 2013 at 2:06 PM

1987 was the last year without lights. The Cubs are drawing 10,000 more fans per game today than they did back then.

Empty seats were part of the charm.

3. jm91rs - Apr 5, 2013 at 12:19 PM

I assume more night games means more tv money too at some point. If my local team played only day games I’d only be able to watch/listen/attend on weekends, and I know that would kill the team.

Times are changing, glad the cubs will finally be allowed to catch up with the rest of the league on the obvious money makers.

4. redbirdfan81 - Apr 5, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I’m sorry, but screw the rooftop owners & “fans”. If they want to see the game, buy a ticket & get your a$$ inside the stadium. Freeloaders! As for the Rickets, they own it and should be able to do as they please with THEIR BALLPARK & MONEY. The councilman who is blocking this is on the take & must be un-elected next election. As a Cardinal fan who has watched many, many Cardinal World Series games & victories, I hope the cubs stay in the dump and never get out of the playoffs. Idiots running the asylum is the problem, but then again, that’s Chicago!

• Alex K - Apr 5, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Best fans in baseball right here, folks.

• Old Gator - Apr 5, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Spend a week in Macondo. Read the Crespo Report:

Then criticize Chicago, a town whose stuffed spinach special pizzas beat whatever your town has to offer.

Will Stanton worry about future beanings?
  1. G. Stanton (3490)