Apr 5, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
Cleared by doctors to play in games following his March 7 concussion, Red Sox shortstop Stephen Drew began his minor-league rehab assignment yesterday at Double-A by going 0-for-3.
Alex Speier of WEEI.com reports that Drew played five innings defensively in the first of what’s expected to be a four-game rehab assignment, which puts him on schedule to potentially join the Red Sox for their home opener Monday.
Jose Iglesias has gone 7-for-12 filling in for Drew at shortstop after beginning his career by going 10-for-74, but the Red Sox have made it clear that the job is Drew’s once he’s ready to return.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 34
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)