Apr 6, 2013, 5:02 PM EDT
Fresh off completing a 50-game suspension for testing positive for testosterone, Athletics right-hander Bartolo Colon will make his season debut tonight against the Astros. Since Colon was only able to serve 45 games of his suspension in 2012, he was ineligible to join the A’s active roster until the sixth game of the season.
Colon was a valued member of Oakland’s rotation prior to his suspension last August, posting a 3.43 ERA and 91/23 K/BB ratio in 152 1/3 innings across 24 starts. Despite putting the team in a bit of a bind down the stretch, the 39-year-old was brought back this winter on a one-year, $3 million contract.
As Matthew noted early this morning, the Athletics demoted Dan Straily to Triple-A Sacramento in order to make room for Colon on the roster. Straily struck out career-high 11 batters in last night’s win over the Astros, so he hardly deserved to be sent down, but there’s no room for him in the rotation at the moment.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 55
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)