Apr 6, 2013, 10:45 AM EDT
Chad Billingsley‘s elbow was the major concern coming into spring training, but it was a bruised right finger suffered during a bunting drill which put him on the disabled list to begin the season. However, after Billingsley it through a minor league rehab start on Thursday, Quinn Roberts of MLB.com reports that he has been cleared to come off the disabled list to start Wednesday against the Padres.
“It went well. I accomplished everything I needed to to get ready for my next start,” Billingsley said on Friday at Dodger Stadium. “I’ve got no issues with the finger. I’m anxious to get back out there, compete and win some ballgames.”
Billingsley, 28, posted a 3.55 ERA and 128/45 K/BB ratio in 149 2/3 innings over 25 starts last season before going down with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow. After opting against surgery and receiving platelet-rich plasma injections during the offseason, he hasn’t had any issues this spring.
Who knows if Billingsley’s elbow will hold up for the entire season, but the Dodgers have plenty of starting pitching depth if there’s a setback. Veteran arms Chris Capuano and Aaron Harang are both in the bullpen at the moment while Ted Lilly is currently on a minor league rehab assignment following shoulder surgery.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 51
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)