Apr 6, 2013, 10:45 AM EDT
Chad Billingsley‘s elbow was the major concern coming into spring training, but it was a bruised right finger suffered during a bunting drill which put him on the disabled list to begin the season. However, after Billingsley it through a minor league rehab start on Thursday, Quinn Roberts of MLB.com reports that he has been cleared to come off the disabled list to start Wednesday against the Padres.
“It went well. I accomplished everything I needed to to get ready for my next start,” Billingsley said on Friday at Dodger Stadium. “I’ve got no issues with the finger. I’m anxious to get back out there, compete and win some ballgames.”
Billingsley, 28, posted a 3.55 ERA and 128/45 K/BB ratio in 149 2/3 innings over 25 starts last season before going down with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow. After opting against surgery and receiving platelet-rich plasma injections during the offseason, he hasn’t had any issues this spring.
Who knows if Billingsley’s elbow will hold up for the entire season, but the Dodgers have plenty of starting pitching depth if there’s a setback. Veteran arms Chris Capuano and Aaron Harang are both in the bullpen at the moment while Ted Lilly is currently on a minor league rehab assignment following shoulder surgery.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)