Apr 6, 2013, 10:17 AM EDT
According to Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com, David Freese began a minor league rehab assignment last night with Triple-A Memphis and went 1-for-4 with a two-run double. He also played seven innings at third base.
Freese opened the season on the disabled list with a lower back injury suffered during spring training. He was originally scheduled to begin his rehab stint on Thursday, but the game was postponed due to rain. While the Cardinals were hoping to activate him for their home opener on Monday, it’s not clear if he’ll be ready by then. Either way, he’s getting close.
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 1
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 4
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 52
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 30
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (265)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)