Apr 6, 2013, 10:17 AM EDT
According to Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com, David Freese began a minor league rehab assignment last night with Triple-A Memphis and went 1-for-4 with a two-run double. He also played seven innings at third base.
Freese opened the season on the disabled list with a lower back injury suffered during spring training. He was originally scheduled to begin his rehab stint on Thursday, but the game was postponed due to rain. While the Cardinals were hoping to activate him for their home opener on Monday, it’s not clear if he’ll be ready by then. Either way, he’s getting close.
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 32
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 15
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 69
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86