Apr 6, 2013, 4:14 PM EDT
UPDATE: Ian Browne of MLB.com reports that Lackey will fly back to Boston tomorrow for an MRI.
3:25 PM: Sean McAdam of CSNNE.com reports that Lackey left the game with a right biceps strain. Of course, that’s just the initial diagnosis and it doesn’t tell us much. We should know more soon.
3:00 PM: John Lackey was back in action in a regular season game today for the first time since Tommy John surgery in November of 2011. Unfortunately he didn’t last long.
According to Rob Bradford of WEEI.com, Lackey left today’s start against the Blue Jays in the bottom of the fifth inning with an apparent injury to his right arm. It didn’t look good. Lackey immediately grabbed at his biceps area after throwing an arrant pitch with Jose Reyes at the plate. Replays showed that he may have felt some discomfort on the previous pitch, but that one extra pitch is what did him in.
It’s a real shame, as Lackey was pitching really well in his return to major league action. He gave up two runs (a two-run homer by J.P. Arencibia) over 4 1/3 innings while striking out eight and walking just one.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 73
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)