Josh Hamilton opens Angels career 1-for-20 with 10 strikeouts

Apr 6, 2013, 7:27 PM EDT

josh hamilton getty Getty Images

It’s obviously way too early to panic, but Josh Hamilton‘s Angels career is off to a slow start.

The $133 million man went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts on Saturday and is now 1-for-20 with 10 strikeouts through the first five games of Anaheim’s regular-season schedule. The Rangers, intimately¬†familiar with Hamilton’s random offensive funks, gave Albert Pujols three intentional passes Saturday. Which contributed to Hamilton stranding six baserunners.

The Angels won Saturday’s game in Texas by a score of 8-4 because the rest of the lineup managed 12 hits and eight runs, and because starter Tommy Hanson pitched six solid innings. They’re now 2-3 on the year.

Hamilton batted .395/.438/.744 with nine homers in his first 96 plate appearances last season.

Through 23 plate appearances this season the 31-year-old outfielder is hitting .050/.208/.050.

1. paperlions - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:40 PM

So then, right where he left off last year.

2. paperlions - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Hamilton will be 32 next month, and he has only ever had one great year in his career. It is to early to panic, but the day this deal was signed it was pretty obviously going to turn out badly for the Angels.

• trevor123698 - Apr 6, 2013 at 9:32 PM

it will be worse than bad. hes not even going to be capable of playing that contract out. he’ll be out of the league in not long

• dondada10 - Apr 6, 2013 at 10:27 PM

You could’ve easily have copied and pasted this from the Angels signing Pujols comments section.

• historiophiliac - Apr 7, 2013 at 1:47 AM

worse

• historiophiliac - Apr 7, 2013 at 2:02 AM

That’s the worst birthday card ever. Remind me never to tell you when my big day is.

“Dear historiophiliac:

You’re on the downward slide, but you knew it was coming.

–paperlions

• paperlions - Apr 7, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Facts is facts, even ugly ones. Better to face the truth head on.

• historiophiliac - Apr 7, 2013 at 10:29 AM

You’re a charmer.

• paperlions - Apr 7, 2013 at 10:31 AM

Think of it this way….if you ever really really need the truth about something no matter what, I’m that guy that will always be honest with you. You know those situations where a spouse significant other is cheating and everyone knows but the one being cheated on but nobody says anything? Yeah, I’m the guy that takes the bullet and tells them because it is something they need to know.

• historiophiliac - Apr 7, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Well, that sounds fun.

• paperlions - Apr 7, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Yeah, it’s not. Someone has to do the hard things. I AM capable of being nice in pretty much any unimportant situation.

• historiophiliac - Apr 7, 2013 at 11:03 AM

I’m actually painfully honest myself, but I try to be a little diplomatic…sometimes.

• paperlions - Apr 7, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Indeed, I am great at context and multiple view points…it sure beats, “I don’t know how else to tell you this, so I’m just gonna say it.”

• historiophiliac - Apr 7, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Most politic. he he

• paperlions - Apr 7, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Politic, yes; political, no.

• historiophiliac - Apr 7, 2013 at 11:47 AM

It’s so cute when you’re delusional.

• paperlions - Apr 7, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Yeah, it’s also cute when you confuse the meaning of words, being politic has nothing to do with being political, as one is associated with governance and one is not.

• historiophiliac - Apr 7, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Well, I’m glad to know you think my vocabulary is limited. I see you are not up for a teasing today.

Also, your definition of “political” is too narrow.

3. steelers88 - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:51 PM

HA! I find this funny!

4. texasrug - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:52 PM

Went to the game almost felt sorry for him doesn’t have a clue how to hit right now

5. gosuhgo - Apr 6, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Josh Hamilton opens Angel’s career exactly as expected.

6. echech88 - Apr 6, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Crowd is in his head for sure. Didn’t look great but not nearly as lost at the plate in Cincy.

7. soundsofsuccess7 - Apr 6, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Anaheim is a black hole for hitters. First Vernon Wells, then Albert Pujols, now Hamilton. Either there’s something in the water or the coaching staff sucks.

I think it’s the latter.

• asimonetti88 - Apr 6, 2013 at 8:20 PM

I’m not necessarily a big fan of Sciosca but Vernon Wells was on his way down before he came to Anaheim and Pujols had a very very strong second half.

8. dawglb - Apr 6, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Give him a day off, and he will come back. Just like the other big name guy they signed a year or so ago from St. L. He struggled. Took a day, and was more relaxed and ultimately, better.

9. rcdck - Apr 6, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Pujols?

10. kiwicricket - Apr 6, 2013 at 8:20 PM

‘1-for-20 with 10 strikeouts’
    That’s bad, right?

Regards,
    Adam Dunn.

• pillowporkers - Apr 7, 2013 at 9:07 AM

At least his one hit was probably a HR and not a single lucky enough to have 2 people in scoring position.

11. coltzfan166 - Apr 6, 2013 at 8:24 PM

So? Pujols didn’t play well when he first started with the Angels too.

12. surly1n1nd1anapol1s - Apr 6, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Hah. He’s clearly over rated Drew. And as an alcoholic he must be a weak character unlike bloggers on this site.

13. mybrunoblog - Apr 6, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Yes its really early but evryone has to be thinking this. First Pujols now Hamilton. This is the place where aging over priced free agents go to die.

14. kelshannon19 - Apr 6, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Brett Wallace says “get on my level!”

15. bricktop02 - Apr 6, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Ooops.

16. jerze2387 - Apr 6, 2013 at 10:28 PM

I see a lot of people comparing Hamilton to pujols. Pujols has been great for over a decade, consistantly. Hamilton has always been streaky in the few years hes actually been playing, much less productive. Thats an insult to Pujols..Hamilton is nowhere near the player albert is. So to say because pujols bounced back that hamilton will is not really valid

17. damnyankee13 - Apr 6, 2013 at 10:35 PM

ouch. know its still early in the season, but ouch

18. onbucky96 - Apr 6, 2013 at 10:38 PM

I blame Jesus. I’m sure it was Jesus telling him to swing and miss EVERYTHING this weekend. Well, maybe not Jesus. Can I blame Tim Tebow instead?

19. mdev1987 - Apr 6, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Someone give him booze

20. halohonk - Apr 6, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Place where aging over price free agents go to die?. Didnt Albert hit 2 out today? If Scioscia had some balls he would hit Josh 3rd & Pujols clean up for a few games. Shake things up. It cracks me up when the Rangers get their asses kicked the Texas fans
    seem to blame everything on Hamilton one way or another. Get over it. Hes gone. It is what it is. Geez hes a human being not perfect. He plays baseball thats all. Its a fricking game. Take a deep breath and enjoy the game. There is only another 157 of them im sure things will even out for Josh and you grudge holding Ranger fans will find someone else to bash. How about JD when he runs Nolan out of dodge? or for all the non moves he made during the off season?

21. marzalmighty - Apr 7, 2013 at 12:49 AM

> somebody give him booze

Will boos suffice? We have plenty of those.

22. geraldthecat - Apr 7, 2013 at 1:02 AM

.050 I bet he has had breathalyzer scores higher than that.

23. cowboysoldiertx - Apr 7, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Hambone will correct himself, but hitting in Arlington is wayyyyyy dif than whatever the heck the name of the Angels stadium is. I expect a 270-30-90 line out of Hammy. Texas is a very “bible” state and we got tired of his Holier than Thou attitude and “God is punishing for everything so I cant hit right now” statements. So long and good riddance.

24. kw27p - Apr 7, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I can Yankees for Angels get mistaken for an old timers game

25. jakschit - Apr 7, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Only five months until football season begins

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate