Apr 6, 2013, 1:34 AM EDT
Dan Straily knew he was only a member of Oakland’s rotation because Bartolo Colon had a handful of games left on his 2012 PED suspension. So, it didn’t come as any surprise when he was optioned to Triple-A after striking out 11 Astros and picking up his third big-league victory Friday.
Straily allowed two runs in 6 2/3 innings in the victory. He became the third straight starter to reach double figures in strikeouts against the Astros after the Rangers’ Yu Darvish and Alexi Ogando did on Tuesday and Wednesday. Poor Matt Harrison managed only nine strikeouts against them on Sunday.
The 24-year-old Straily moved to 3-1 with a 3.72 ERA in eight big-league starts. However, he wasn’t able to beat out A.J. Griffin for the fifth spot in Oakland’s rotation this spring, meaning he was one-and-done this week.
Fortunately for Straily, these are the A’s. It’d be a minor miracle if they made it through the month of April without losing a starter due to injury. Straily is the clear No. 6 on the depth chart, and he’ll be recalled next time the A’s need a replacement. In the meantime, the team will go with Brett Anderson, Colon, Tommy Milone, Jarrod Parker and Griffin in the rotation.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 99
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 2
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 132
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (132)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)