Apr 6, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT
Eddie A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun reports that Orioles minor league right-hander Daniel McCutchen has been suspended 50 games for testing positive for two PEDs. Tests revealed Methenolone and a metabolite of Trenbolon.
McCutchen made one appearance with the Pirates last season and owns a 4.77 ERA over 108 appearances in the majors. The 30-year-old right-hander signed a minor league deal with the Orioles over the winter, but was reassigned to minor league after posting a 6.14 ERA over seven appearances this spring.
The Orioles were trying to reinvent McCutchen as a sidearmer at Triple-A Norfolk, similar to what they did with Mets right-hander Greg Burke last year, but that experiment will now have to wait.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 27
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 57
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)