Apr 6, 2013, 1:50 PM EST
Eddie A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun reports that Orioles minor league right-hander Daniel McCutchen has been suspended 50 games for testing positive for two PEDs. Tests revealed Methenolone and a metabolite of Trenbolon.
McCutchen made one appearance with the Pirates last season and owns a 4.77 ERA over 108 appearances in the majors. The 30-year-old right-hander signed a minor league deal with the Orioles over the winter, but was reassigned to minor league after posting a 6.14 ERA over seven appearances this spring.
The Orioles were trying to reinvent McCutchen as a sidearmer at Triple-A Norfolk, similar to what they did with Mets right-hander Greg Burke last year, but that experiment will now have to wait.
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 64
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 32
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)