Apr 6, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT
Eddie A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun reports that Orioles minor league right-hander Daniel McCutchen has been suspended 50 games for testing positive for two PEDs. Tests revealed Methenolone and a metabolite of Trenbolon.
McCutchen made one appearance with the Pirates last season and owns a 4.77 ERA over 108 appearances in the majors. The 30-year-old right-hander signed a minor league deal with the Orioles over the winter, but was reassigned to minor league after posting a 6.14 ERA over seven appearances this spring.
The Orioles were trying to reinvent McCutchen as a sidearmer at Triple-A Norfolk, similar to what they did with Mets right-hander Greg Burke last year, but that experiment will now have to wait.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 56
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 16
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 98
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Report: Pete Rose bet on baseball as a player, not just as a manager (148)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- First-ever female baseball player added to MLB’s international registration list (104)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (98)