Apr 6, 2013, 1:50 PM EDT
Eddie A. Encina of the Baltimore Sun reports that Orioles minor league right-hander Daniel McCutchen has been suspended 50 games for testing positive for two PEDs. Tests revealed Methenolone and a metabolite of Trenbolon.
McCutchen made one appearance with the Pirates last season and owns a 4.77 ERA over 108 appearances in the majors. The 30-year-old right-hander signed a minor league deal with the Orioles over the winter, but was reassigned to minor league after posting a 6.14 ERA over seven appearances this spring.
The Orioles were trying to reinvent McCutchen as a sidearmer at Triple-A Norfolk, similar to what they did with Mets right-hander Greg Burke last year, but that experiment will now have to wait.
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 0
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 67
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 11
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 38
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 22
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 11
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 26
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)