The Marlins get Mike Redmond his first win as manager

Apr 6, 2013, 9:44 AM EDT

Rob Brantly Getty Getty Images

After scoring just one run in 27 innings during their opening series against the Nationals, the Marlins’ offense broke out with 11 hits last night in a 7-5 win over the Mets. Mike Redmond notched his victory win as an MLB skipper while the Marlins are no longer the majors’ only winless team.

Alex Sanabia, who made the starting rotation because of injuries, tossed six innings of shutout ball for his first win in the majors since 2010. The Marlins grabbed their first lead of the season on a second-inning solo homer by cleanup hitter Greg Dobbs, but they tacked on five more runs in the seventh inning following a Ruben Tejada error. The rally included a two-run single by Placido Polanco, a sacrifice fly by Greg Dobbs and back-to-back RBI doubles by Justin Ruggiano and Rob Brantly. Who needs Giancarlo Stanton, anyway?

Stanton finally got into the act in the ninth inning with a long double to center field. He came around to score on an RBI single by Justin Ruggiano, which provided some extra cushion for closer Steve Cishek, who gave up two runs on two hits and a walk before finishing off the victory.

1. nbjays - Apr 6, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Break out the champagne, Gator… the Feesh are on their way!

• Old Gator - Apr 6, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Last time I was asked to break out the champagne for a team that was leaving al carajo.

2. spudchukar - Apr 6, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Exciting!

• historiophiliac - Apr 6, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Neck and neck w/ the Cards and Phillies now!

• spudchukar - Apr 6, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Cherish the moment, however brief it may be.

• Old Gator - Apr 6, 2013 at 12:32 PM

And brief it shall be. Incidentally, I just got word from the shop that the strange attractor is still undergoing repair. They’re waiting for a back-ordered integer from the warehouse. I told them not to worry, since I doubt if we’re going to need it here on Circling the Bases anytime soon. As a matter of fact, if any team with legitimate pretensions at .500 would like to lease it for the 2013 season, I think we can make them a very reasonable offer for it. Borg? Peetsburgh?

3. jimmymarlinsfan - Apr 6, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Well that would be one more win than the “experts” here at HBT predicted for us. Go Marlins!

• asimonetti88 - Apr 6, 2013 at 12:14 PM

what

• Old Gator - Apr 6, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Ignore Jimmy. He has an architectural license in the design and construction of straw men. The royal “us” he uses, for example, is such a straw man: his mindless rooting belies the reality that he doesn’t even live in Macondo. His kids won’t be going to the school system that Scrooge McLoria’s partnership with the corrupt clowns on the county commission will have shortchanged by four billion dollars in usurious interest payments on the bonds for Macondo Banana Massacre Field for the next three generations. The Feesh found a team, not so much that they could beat, but that on any given night could beat themselves more inefficiently than even the Feesh could.

This team is now 1-3, or a .250 average, the last team in MLB to win a game this year, and their current record projects to 122 losses. Go Feesh, indeed.

• historiophiliac - Apr 6, 2013 at 12:36 PM

He called us experts!

• Old Gator - Apr 6, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Yeah. I ought to be insulted, but hey, when you’re right, you’re right.

4. jimmymarlinsfan - Apr 6, 2013 at 3:40 PM

Please gator, move from Miami and root for another team. It’s that simple

• Old Gator - Apr 6, 2013 at 5:48 PM

To a simpleton all things appear simple, Jimmy.

• jimmymarlinsfan - Apr 6, 2013 at 8:10 PM

I’m the simple one who hates the city I live in and the team that resides there? Grow the hell up

• Old Gator - Apr 6, 2013 at 10:24 PM

I seem to recall your writing that you don’t live here. Make your mind the hell up, and if you do live here, try looking at the magnitude of the damage your slimebag of a hero has done to your community instead of rolling around with your head up your backside doing your mindless fanboy impersonation.

• Old Gator - Apr 6, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Oh and incidentally, with their loss today the Feesh fall to a Mendoza-like .200 winning percentage at 1-4 and have seized sole possession of the NL East basement which, like Dostoevsky’s underground man, they can be expected to inhabit for the remainder of the season. In case anyone’s interested, that projects to a 130-loss season. I’ll be keeping track of that as we move along through this brutal year.

And of course, Jimmy, your talent for building wicker men continues to blossom. No one buys your nonsensical accusation that I hate Macondo or that I hate my favorite team – just the cabal of crooks and liars who run the city and county commissions and the even bigger bunch of crooks and liars who own the team. My love of both the team and my community would be palpable to anybody with a bud of neurons above their brain stems. Clearly, that doesn’t include you.

5. jimmymarlinsfan - Apr 7, 2013 at 12:23 AM

A. I live in Massachusetts and still have family in the Miami area
    B. Loria is not my hero nor am I any fanboy but he deserves some defense as did the red coats after the Boston massacre
    C. Loria IS however, the best owner we have had in team history and that is actually saying something
    D. Marlins park was funded by Loria and a bed tax that could only be spent on recreational activities by law this is a fact
    E. it’s the first week of the season, I’m just happy baseball is back and my cousin pitches against the Dodgers tomorrow
    F. If you hate Miami and the Marlins, fucking move. It’s not that difficult unless you are a bitter old man who is friendly with Norm Braman
    G. Don’t sit here and tell me the Marlins are your team because you constantly hate on them and everything about them. They aren’t your team anymore than the Pats are my team
    H. Everywhere has crooked politicians, shouldn’t be a news flash to someone so damn old
    I. If you could ever manage to not mention Loria or Sampson in ALL of your posts, I imagine we could find a happy medium but since you are the constant bearer of hate and foolishness, I guess I’ll have to be content wishing for the day that you are comprised of a nice pair of shoes and little more

• historiophiliac - Apr 7, 2013 at 2:15 AM

WTF with defending lobsters? You completely invalidated your B with that BS about the British. No one just deserves some defense — especially some ones who shoot at citizens. But, thanks for comparing Loria to an occupying army.

• Old Gator - Apr 7, 2013 at 4:37 AM

I could sit here and let Jimmy make a bigger and bigger fool of himself – but naaahhh, it’s about my Feesh. Jimmy, before we get started, check back over the last few days for any mention of little “Sampson” (it’s spelled Samson, incidentally) in my posts.

A. Glad you don’t give a crap about how your precious family here in Macondo has gotten screwed over by (C), and perhaps gladder that you don’t live here; with your lack of concern for this community, having you here would be like playing host to another colony of Taiwanese termites;

B. Historiophiliac handled this one, but I should add that, if you’re in the legal profession, the Butcher of Srebenica, General Mladic, goes on trial soon. There’s some work for you.

D. If you hadn’t had your head up your ass, you might have read a few weeks ago the revelation that the county is on the hook for four point four billion dollars of usurious bond interest that cannot be discounted by prepayment which will not be covered by the tourist taxes – which won’t come close to equaling the indebtedness. But again, when you don’t live here, I guess the damage the “best owner” in Feesh heestory has done here doesn’t make a tent in your silly fanboy blind devotion to this devastated franchise and its fan base.

The rest is just more of your straw man nonsense so there’s no need to continue thrashing that silliness out.

• jimmymarlinsfan - Apr 7, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Everyone is deserving of defense. And the “lobsters” were hardly firing into a defenseless crowd. The crowd were throwing rocks and ice balls and knew exactly what they were doing. After all, the tree of liberty….but here are the facts as far as the fish go. Loria is owner and isn’t selling. The team finished in dead last and needed a change even if said change means we finish in last again. But I for one, prefer prospects playing hard and losing then “stars” losing and not caring. That is why the deal was made.

• historiophiliac - Apr 7, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Oh, yes, rocks versus bullets, that’s a fair match up. Guess how many other times rowdy crowds in the colonies threw rocks & taunted the lobsters and no one shot them? It was a common occurrence. Or, more recently, how many rioters at Ol Miss did the marshals shoot when James Meredith enrolled? Soldiers and law enforcement personnel shooting into crowds is not defensible.

You could use a better example to make your point — and one that pretty much no Stater would find incredible (or unpatriotic — which is pretty funny).

• jimmymarlinsfan - Apr 8, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Yeah I’m sure the redcoats never killed anyone else and the Boston Massacre wasn’t a massive political ploy by colonists to gather support for their cause. But what do I know? I only live in Massachusetts, was a history major in college and have read just about everything you can about our founding fathers. No no, I’m sure you’re right and I’m wrong

• historiophiliac - Apr 8, 2013 at 12:29 PM

So, it’s Americans generally that you hate. Good to know.

• jimmymarlinsfan - Apr 8, 2013 at 12:36 PM

No, I’m just a realist about how Americans go about their business. We didn’t build the most massive empire in history by being nice to everyone. That isn’t a slight against America but rather acknowledgement of our past

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet