Apr 6, 2013, 9:44 AM EST
After scoring just one run in 27 innings during their opening series against the Nationals, the Marlins’ offense broke out with 11 hits last night in a 7-5 win over the Mets. Mike Redmond notched his victory win as an MLB skipper while the Marlins are no longer the majors’ only winless team.
Alex Sanabia, who made the starting rotation because of injuries, tossed six innings of shutout ball for his first win in the majors since 2010. The Marlins grabbed their first lead of the season on a second-inning solo homer by cleanup hitter Greg Dobbs, but they tacked on five more runs in the seventh inning following a Ruben Tejada error. The rally included a two-run single by Placido Polanco, a sacrifice fly by Greg Dobbs and back-to-back RBI doubles by Justin Ruggiano and Rob Brantly. Who needs Giancarlo Stanton, anyway?
Stanton finally got into the act in the ninth inning with a long double to center field. He came around to score on an RBI single by Justin Ruggiano, which provided some extra cushion for closer Steve Cishek, who gave up two runs on two hits and a walk before finishing off the victory.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (361)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (77)