Apr 6, 2013, 9:44 AM EDT
After scoring just one run in 27 innings during their opening series against the Nationals, the Marlins’ offense broke out with 11 hits last night in a 7-5 win over the Mets. Mike Redmond notched his victory win as an MLB skipper while the Marlins are no longer the majors’ only winless team.
Alex Sanabia, who made the starting rotation because of injuries, tossed six innings of shutout ball for his first win in the majors since 2010. The Marlins grabbed their first lead of the season on a second-inning solo homer by cleanup hitter Greg Dobbs, but they tacked on five more runs in the seventh inning following a Ruben Tejada error. The rally included a two-run single by Placido Polanco, a sacrifice fly by Greg Dobbs and back-to-back RBI doubles by Justin Ruggiano and Rob Brantly. Who needs Giancarlo Stanton, anyway?
Stanton finally got into the act in the ninth inning with a long double to center field. He came around to score on an RBI single by Justin Ruggiano, which provided some extra cushion for closer Steve Cishek, who gave up two runs on two hits and a walk before finishing off the victory.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 8
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 11
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 10
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 31
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)