Apr 6, 2013, 5:32 PM EDT
The Astros acquired left-hander Travis Blackley from the Athletics on Thursday in exchange for minor league outfielder Jake Goebbert, but he hurt his shoulder before he could appear in a game with his new club and will head to the disabled list as a result.
According to Zach Meisel of MLB.com, Blackley strained his shoulder during a bullpen session yesterday. It’s not known how long he’ll be sidelined, but the Astros were planning to use him as a long reliever.
The Astros have recalled left-hander Dallas Keuchel to replace Blackley on the active roster. The 25-year-old posted a 5.26 ERA and 38/39 K/BB ratio over 85 1/3 innings in 16 starts with the club last season.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (81)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)