Apr 6, 2013, 5:32 PM EDT
The Astros acquired left-hander Travis Blackley from the Athletics on Thursday in exchange for minor league outfielder Jake Goebbert, but he hurt his shoulder before he could appear in a game with his new club and will head to the disabled list as a result.
According to Zach Meisel of MLB.com, Blackley strained his shoulder during a bullpen session yesterday. It’s not known how long he’ll be sidelined, but the Astros were planning to use him as a long reliever.
The Astros have recalled left-hander Dallas Keuchel to replace Blackley on the active roster. The 25-year-old posted a 5.26 ERA and 38/39 K/BB ratio over 85 1/3 innings in 16 starts with the club last season.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)