Video: Man catches home run ball while holding child

Apr 6, 2013, 6:11 PM EDT

The title says it all.

In the top of the seventh inning of this afternoon’s Nationals-Reds game, Jayson Werth connected for a solo home run to right-center which was caught by a gentleman who just so happened to be holding a child in his other arm.

That easily could have gone very wrong, but that was some impressive multi-tasking. Serious dad skills on display in Cincinnati.

1. chill1184 - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:03 PM

Interesting story the father gets to tell the child when hes older

• password1 - Apr 7, 2013 at 5:45 AM

and even show!

2. kiwicricket - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:08 PM

This is dangerous.
    It is always best to throw the child out of the way and fully concentrate on the ball.

• drone501 - Apr 7, 2013 at 12:17 PM

lol good one.

• jwbiii - Apr 7, 2013 at 12:33 PM

If you lose a son, it’s possible to get another. There’s only one home run ball.

3. captainwisdom8888 - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:28 PM

Too often do we see grown men leave their significant someone “out to dry” with a foul ball or home run hurtling at them both.

This dad, with baby in arm, simply wanted to prove a lesson to his young son on “How to be a man about it.”

4. jdrew506 - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:30 PM

This happened last year too and i will say what i said then, these fathers are complete morons and should almost be charged with child endangerment. If nothing else i bet the wives of these dads made them sleep on the couch for a while. I know mine would.

• mybrunoblog - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:46 PM

“almost be charged with child endangerment” ??? Man I hope your not serious but sadly I think you are.
      While I’m at it, you obviously haven’t been married very long either. Getting kicked out of the bedroom is like a vacation for us longtime marriage veterans.

• historiophiliac - Apr 7, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Boooo! to sleeping on the couch and liking it.

• drone501 - Apr 7, 2013 at 12:19 PM

ive grown fond of our spare bedroom. been seeing it a lot lately lol

• bigharold - Apr 7, 2013 at 7:04 PM

“Getting kicked out of the bedroom is like a vacation for us longtime marriage veterans.”

I don’t know about that, I’ve been married nearly 30 years and I don’t see it that way.

“Boooo! to sleeping on the couch and liking it.”

Exactly!! In fact when asked, (or sometimes not when asked), I am all too willing to point that the reason they call it the master bedroom is because that’s where I sleep.

Interestingly enough, .. my wife STILL doesn’t think that’s funny.

• paperlions - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Really? I guess you are just inured to the regular dangers you probably put your children (if any) in on a regular basis. It is always entertaining how people get up in arms about dangers they perceive others exposing their child to, while ignoring the dangers they expose their own children to. Ever talk on your cell phone with your kids in the car? On the dumb and dangerous things you could do around your kids scale, that one is up there.

• thrstr - Apr 6, 2013 at 10:17 PM

if you guys are so worried about the children (THINK OF THE CHILDREN!) then you probably shouldn’t think of taking them to a game. Read the back of the ticket.

• 4d3fect - Apr 6, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Sorry, I’m not seeing your sarcasm font.

You enabled it for this post, no?

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 6, 2013 at 9:00 PM

“Dad, where’s the ladder?”
      “In the garage, why?”
      “I need it to get up on the roof.”
      “Oh.”

’80s parenting was awesome.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 8, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Dramatize much J.D.? If you watch closely…his wife is about to give him props.
      Mine? Should absolutley would have expected it. Hell…she would have expected me to sit the kid down (IN THE MIDDLE OF THE AISLE IF NECESSARY) to catch the ball. But the point is…she wouldn’t have batted an eye at me doing this. You need to loosen the ball and chain every now and then. You will be amazed at how much fun a healthy relationship is.

5. Stiller43 - Apr 6, 2013 at 6:41 PM

I must say the jokes above are actually hilarious, but i do agree with you… Im assuming a ball going that fast could kill the child if he whiffs on the catch and it somehow hits the kid in the head.

Im pleased nothing happened so we can all laugh about it now!!

• drone501 - Apr 7, 2013 at 12:20 PM

i first thought of that young girl that got hit by a hockey puck and later on died.

6. DonRSD - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:42 PM

Can’t see the video on the sports talk apple app :(

• UgglasForearms - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:45 PM

These videos need flash. Apple does not support flash.

• mybrunoblog - Apr 6, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Go to MLB.com to view the video

7. jdrew506 - Apr 6, 2013 at 7:45 PM

I am sure glad I am not part of your family and feel sorry for those who are.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 6, 2013 at 9:08 PM

8. mydadyourmom - Apr 6, 2013 at 10:29 PM

JDrew clearly can’t catch. Anyone with a decent set of mitts knows that this child is not in danger.

9. jdrew506 - Apr 6, 2013 at 11:19 PM

Actually I can catch and very well at that. I just wouldn’t be stupid enough to do so with a baby in my arms. How many times have you seen people fight over trying to get a ball. Is catching a ball that important to put your baby in harms way?

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 6, 2013 at 11:29 PM

So the dad is the asshole for not running away because people might tackle him and swarm him despite the presence of a baby?

I would suggest that someone who would tackle a guy holding a baby might be in the wrong in that situation. But that’s just me.

• historiophiliac - Apr 7, 2013 at 1:56 AM

Clearly his first child.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 7, 2013 at 2:48 AM

Confidence.

If you truly have it then it doesn’t evaporate because a child is involved.

If anything, any weak individual strengthens it.

People seem to forget that.

• Cris E - Apr 8, 2013 at 9:29 AM

Clearly *not* his first child. Most folks I know are totally cautious with the first and grow more and more casual as the kids come along.

The more I think about it, this might have been an uncle though. Those guys couldn’t care less even if they have kids of their own. And any guy with more than one kid knows he’d be screwed if he came home with only one ball.

• jm91rs - Apr 8, 2013 at 10:11 AM

And what happens when he jumps out of the way, putting the kid behind him to protect him? If the guy behind him doesn’t catch it it likely bounces off the seat and hits the kid anyway.

This was the one thing that guy could do where he had control of the situation. Move the kid to one side of the body, catch the ball in the other. I have a 3 month old baby girl and I’m sure I’d try the exact same thing (it’s been awhile since I tried to catch a ball hit 375 feet with one hand, so I’m not sure how successful I’d be, but I can damn well guarantee that it wouldn’t hit my daughter)

10. pbastille - Apr 7, 2013 at 11:32 PM