Apr 7, 2013, 11:08 AM EDT
As first reported by Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune, the Cubs have made a change at closer.
Kyuji Fujikawa, who was signed to a two-year, $9.5 million free agent contract this winter after spending the last 12 seasons in Japan, will be Chicago’s new ninth-inning man. He struggled mightily in Saturday night’s late loss to the Braves, allowing three earned runs in the eighth inning, but the Cubs still feel that he will be a big upgrade over Carlos Marmol.
Marmol has surrendered six hits, two walks and five earned runs over 1 2/3 innings this season. He will serve as a mop-up man until he gets himself right.
Aug 3, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT(Edit)
Viciedo is still just 26 years old.
Aug 3, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT(Edit)
Using your closer in the seventh or eighth inning may be a good idea, but Mike Matheny says that it’s not that simple.
Aug 3, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT(Edit)
No. 3 overall pick in the 2013 draft
Aug 3, 2015, 9:35 AM EDT(Edit)
Kaiser Carlile was retrieving a bat and was wearing a helmet.
Aug 3, 2015, 9:08 AM EDT(Edit)
Ventura went after the Jays’ slugger on Twitter, but then deleted the tweets.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:42 AM EDT(Edit)
120 of the 650 voters will be cut from the rolls.
Aug 2, 2015, 11:05 PM EDT(Edit)
Kyle Lohse may have lost his spot in the Brewers’ rotation as his struggles continued on Sunday against the Cubs.
Aug 2, 2015, 10:15 PM EDT(Edit)
Adeiny Hechavarria prevented the Marlins from getting swept by the Padres on Sunday.
Aug 2, 2015, 9:25 PM EDT(Edit)
Lucas Duda has no respect for familial ties.
Aug 2, 2015, 8:35 PM EDT(Edit)
Red Sox pitching prospect Henry Owens will debut at Yankee Stadium on Tuesday. No pressure, kid.
Aug 2, 2015, 6:55 PM EDT(Edit)
It’s safe to say the Royals and Blue Jays won’t be getting dinner with each other anytime soon.
Aug 2, 2015, 6:02 PM EDT(Edit)
Brandon Morrow will get a second opinion on his right shoulder, as his injury woes persist.
Aug 2, 2015, 3:56 PM EDT(Edit)
Cincinnati hosted one of two benches-clearing incidents in baseball on Sunday.
Aug 2, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT(Edit)
Brad Ausmus has a candidate to handle save situations following the Joakim Soria trade.
Aug 2, 2015, 1:55 PM EDT(Edit)
Marlins outfielder Giancarlo Stanton might not return in mid-August as originally anticipated.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 33
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 53
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 78
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 60
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)