UPDATE: Rockies first-rounder David Dahl gets stripped of roster spot

Apr 7, 2013, 8:28 PM EDT

David Dahl

Update: Dahl explained the reasons for his getting bumped in a couple of tweets Sunday:

///

David Dahl, the 10th overall pick in the 2012 draft out of an Alabama high school, was removed from low Single-A Asheville’s roster after one game for what seems to be disciplinary reasons.

“He made some decisions that made us reconsider where he should begin the season. It had nothing to do with his play in Asheville,” Rockies senior director of player development Jeff Bridich told the Denver Post’s Troy Renck.

Dahl has now been assigned to extended spring training until further notice. He went 0-for-4 with three strikeouts in his lone game in the Sally League.

The Rockies have high hopes for the 19-year-old Dahl after he hit .379/.423/.625 with nine homers and 57 RBI in 280 AB for Rookie-level Grand Junction in his pro debut last year. However, given that they emphasize clean living probably more than any other major league team, Dahl needs to be careful not to get a rep as a problem child.

1. tfbuckfutter - Apr 7, 2013 at 2:14 AM

Maybe he asked Denny Neagle where he could find a nice girl for the evening.

Also, how can you be in extended spring training for an indeterminate period of time? Do teams have “Extended spring training” year round?

• gabrielthursday - Apr 7, 2013 at 4:08 AM

Indeterminate is not synonymous with “potentially limitless” or “open-ended”, but simply means “unfixed”.

• rigatonikid - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:45 AM

You can be in extended spring training all season long…pergatory for a pro baseball player

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 7, 2013 at 9:44 AM

extended spring training is baseball but minus a lot of rules. You can do things like: have Derek Jeter rehabbing and bat him leadoff every inning, or have your pitcher get more than three outs in an inning, or not have the team bat. It’s basically rehab but in game situations.

• historiophiliac - Apr 7, 2013 at 10:38 AM

Parent: You’re grounded!
      Kid: Awww. For how long?
      Parent: Until I say so.
      Kid: How long is that?
      Parent: Do you want some more?

2. eagles512 - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:47 AM

They emphasize clean living more than any team but throw Helton out there opening day.

• cowboysoldiertx - Apr 7, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Everyone makes mistakes but I agree with you. Seems contract dollars and status may cause something’s to be excused.

• chacochicken - Apr 7, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Helton promised to share his lotto winnings with the team.

• dondada10 - Apr 7, 2013 at 9:00 PM

Consistently, Chaco, you’re hilarious.

3. baseballisboring - Apr 7, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Man are these contrived apologies boring and meaningless. “I respect the Rockies decision and I’ll continue to improve as a player, teammate and person.” Yeah? Will ya? Can any athlete that gets in trouble use his own words just once?

• chacochicken - Apr 7, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Wouldn’t it be great if the guy said, “I’m terrible at listening to coaches and I’ll probably fuck this up again. Hopefully in 10 years I can still pull a gym teacher job or maybe a high school baseball coach.” Defiance might be refreshing.

• unclemosesgreen - Apr 8, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Wouldn’t it be great if he was Ryan Leaf?

• chacochicken - Apr 8, 2013 at 8:38 AM

No, much like Highlander, there can be only one Ryan Leaf. Besides I wouldn’t wish that dude’s adult life on anybody.

• kollin7 - Apr 7, 2013 at 10:15 PM

It’s tough because, yeah its all clichéd, and meaningless. But, there’s a reason they’re clichéd. It’s because they’re the right thing to say. You don’t want to risk saying the wrong thing, and having the media/fans hate you.

• baseballisboring - Apr 7, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Yeah, very true. It just feels like everyone consults their agents to get a standardized answer to questions instead of saying anything that might make it actually seem like they care/are apologetic. If I was actually in that type of position (and WAS sorry for whatever the issue was) I would write something a little more heartfelt than that, so I could actually get my point across, instead of writing something that makes people roll their eyes. At least, me sitting here behind a keyboard thinks I would. But who knows, maybe I’d be too afraid to get myself in worse trouble like everyone else. Maybe that says more about the media than anything.

4. tfbuckfutter - Apr 7, 2013 at 10:09 PM

Hopefully it’ll serve as a wake-up call to a guy who, I’m guessing, is kind of an arrogant entitled dickhole.

• kollin7 - Apr 7, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Yeah like 5 years ago a guy from my town got drafted by the Reds in the 18th round, and became ‘an arrogant entitled dickhole.’ Couldn’t imagine what it would’ve done to him had he been drafted 12th overall. The highest the guy from my town made it was High-A. Now he’s back in town, and he thinks he’s GOD.

• baseballisboring - Apr 7, 2013 at 10:33 PM

As (kind of) unfair as it is to assume that, I’m gonna join you in assuming it.

• unclemosesgreen - Apr 8, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Not kind of unfair, totally unfair, completely idiotic, and displaying uncharitable amounts of schadefreude. That’s ok, unfair, overly judgmental people tend to end up miserable and alone.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 8, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Wait….

Was that supposed to be meta?

5. skipcastaneda - Apr 7, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Kollin7, we had a few of those guys who got drafted, didn’t pan out and came back home in my hometown. They act like God until they realize no other team wants them anymore. I always heard, “Yeah, I might get picked up by (insert team name).”
    Then they end up pumping gas or working at a warehouse. The smart ones go back to school.
    Then they get married and live their dreams through their kid.

• kollin7 - Apr 7, 2013 at 11:10 PM

There’s been 3 guys from my town to get drafted. The one I was referring to earlier, made it to A+ for the Reds, and then was done. His older brother bounced around for a good 6 or 7 years, and made it as high as 3 short stints in Triple-A for the Mariners, Twins, and Reds. The third one, made it to the big leagues for three days, and even had an RBI in his first at-bat. He had a year in the minors where he hit 31 HR, and 95 RBI. The funny thing is the one who made it to the big leagues, and was a real prospect is the most humble. He’s also made a life for himself since coming back to town.

The guy who made it to A+, turned down a scholarship offer to play at Illinois, so I hope he has decided to go to school, but seeing him here in town so much kind of worries me.

Sorry to turn this comments section into a ‘guys from my town who became professionals,’ sort of thing.

• Roger Moore - Apr 8, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Maybe the humility is cause and effect. Only a handful of players in a generation have enough raw talent to play in the big leagues on raw ability. Everybody else needs to spend time honing their skills to have any chance, and that requires the humility to admit they have a lot left to learn.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2833)