Apr 7, 2013, 8:54 AM EST
Clayton Kershaw was dominant in his 2013 debut last Monday against the division-rival Giants, striking out seven batters over nine shutout innings as part of a 4-0 Dodgers win. On Saturday night against the Pirates he was again extremely effective.
Kershaw went seven scoreless frames, striking out nine batters, issuing only one walk and allowing just two hits. 59 of his 97 pitches were strikes and the Dodgers wound up topping Pittsburgh 1-0.
Kershaw is now 2-0 with a 0.00 ERA, 0.44 WHIP and 16/1 K/BB ratio through 16 innings this season.
The 24-year-old left-hander is arbitration-eligible in 2014 but will become a free agent heading into the 2015 campaign. He’s in line for a massive payday.
Your Saturday box scores:
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a deal with Hanley Ramirez 16
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 18
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)