Apr 7, 2013, 5:37 PM EDT
According to beat writer Sean McAdam of CSN New England, Drew was unable to play in a scheduled rehab game Saturday at Double-A Portland because of freezing temperatures. The plan calls four Drew to play four total rehab games, so he will remain at the Double-A level for an extra day and then join up with the Red Sox on Wednesday for the second game of their three-game set against the visiting Orioles.
Drew was signed this winter to a one-year, $9.5 million free agent contract. He suffered a concussion in early March when he was struck in the batting helmet with a pitch during a Grapefruit League game.
Jose Iglesias has been filling in at shortstop and is currently 9-for-17 (.529) at the plate.
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 4
- Orioles beat Blue Jays to clinch AL East title 21
- Tanner Roark dominates as Nationals clinch NL East 18
- Masahiro Tanaka to pitch on Sunday 9
- Astros shut down George Springer for the season 0
- The Blue Jays will make a qualifying offer to Melky Cabrera 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)