Apr 7, 2013, 5:37 PM EDT
According to beat writer Sean McAdam of CSN New England, Drew was unable to play in a scheduled rehab game Saturday at Double-A Portland because of freezing temperatures. The plan calls four Drew to play four total rehab games, so he will remain at the Double-A level for an extra day and then join up with the Red Sox on Wednesday for the second game of their three-game set against the visiting Orioles.
Drew was signed this winter to a one-year, $9.5 million free agent contract. He suffered a concussion in early March when he was struck in the batting helmet with a pitch during a Grapefruit League game.
Jose Iglesias has been filling in at shortstop and is currently 9-for-17 (.529) at the plate.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 64
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)