Apr 7, 2013, 5:37 PM EST
According to beat writer Sean McAdam of CSN New England, Drew was unable to play in a scheduled rehab game Saturday at Double-A Portland because of freezing temperatures. The plan calls four Drew to play four total rehab games, so he will remain at the Double-A level for an extra day and then join up with the Red Sox on Wednesday for the second game of their three-game set against the visiting Orioles.
Drew was signed this winter to a one-year, $9.5 million free agent contract. He suffered a concussion in early March when he was struck in the batting helmet with a pitch during a Grapefruit League game.
Jose Iglesias has been filling in at shortstop and is currently 9-for-17 (.529) at the plate.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)