Apr 7, 2013, 5:37 PM EDT
According to beat writer Sean McAdam of CSN New England, Drew was unable to play in a scheduled rehab game Saturday at Double-A Portland because of freezing temperatures. The plan calls four Drew to play four total rehab games, so he will remain at the Double-A level for an extra day and then join up with the Red Sox on Wednesday for the second game of their three-game set against the visiting Orioles.
Drew was signed this winter to a one-year, $9.5 million free agent contract. He suffered a concussion in early March when he was struck in the batting helmet with a pitch during a Grapefruit League game.
Jose Iglesias has been filling in at shortstop and is currently 9-for-17 (.529) at the plate.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 8
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 13
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)