Apr 7, 2013, 10:16 PM EST
It’s safe to say that part of the reason Yu Darvish didn’t threaten another perfect game on Sunday night is because he wasn’t facing the Astros. The other reason is that the finger blister, that developed during Tuesday’s masterpiece, continued to bother him tonight and forced him from the game after five innings,
Darvish opened the game with a walk, a hit by pitch and a walk in a two-run first inning. He was better afterwards, but still far less than perfect while giving up three runs on six hits and four walks. He struck out six before being replaced by Robbie Ross.
Darvish first felt the blister on his changeups while striking out 14 Astros in 8 2/3 scoreless innings five days ago. He said he’d be fine to make his start tonight, but while he was able to gut it out, he wasn’t his usual self. The Rangers will probably decide in a day or two whether to let him pitch with the blister again or if it makes sense to have him skip a turn.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27