Apr 7, 2013, 10:16 PM EDT
It’s safe to say that part of the reason Yu Darvish didn’t threaten another perfect game on Sunday night is because he wasn’t facing the Astros. The other reason is that the finger blister, that developed during Tuesday’s masterpiece, continued to bother him tonight and forced him from the game after five innings,
Darvish opened the game with a walk, a hit by pitch and a walk in a two-run first inning. He was better afterwards, but still far less than perfect while giving up three runs on six hits and four walks. He struck out six before being replaced by Robbie Ross.
Darvish first felt the blister on his changeups while striking out 14 Astros in 8 2/3 scoreless innings five days ago. He said he’d be fine to make his start tonight, but while he was able to gut it out, he wasn’t his usual self. The Rangers will probably decide in a day or two whether to let him pitch with the blister again or if it makes sense to have him skip a turn.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 39
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 72
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 24
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 17
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (94)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (89)