And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights

Apr 8, 2013, 6:09 AM EDT

Country Breakfast

Royals 9, Phillies 8: Country. Breakfast. Billy Butler drives in seven via a grand slam and a three-run double. The loss is an especially disheartening one for Philly, as they were staked to a 4-0 lead early with their ace on the hill. Cole Hamels was rocked, though, and now stands at 0-2 with a 10.97 ERA on the young season.

Red Sox 13, Blue Jays 0: Will Middlebrooks went bomb-bomb-bomb. And added a double. The AL East champs, presumptive, are now 2-4. The reigning NL Cy Young Award winner is 0-2 with an 8.44 ERA. Jon Lester, meanwhile, shut out the Jays for seven innings. It’s gonna be awesome later today when I read all the stories about how character and stuff are the reasons the Red Sox have started out strong rather than getting some nice pitching from now-healthy pitchers.

Braves 5, Cubs 1: Jeff Samardzija struck out 13 Braves but it didn’t really slow ‘em down any. And really, if they win five of every six and double the MLB record for team strikeouts in a season I won’t give a tinker’s damn, nor should anyone else. Justin Upton had the golden sombrero, going 0 for 4 with 4Ks. Jeez. Didn’t even hit a home run? Maybe Kevin Towers and Kirk Gibson were right about him. Guess he’s totally content to lazily chill his way to a 135 home run season rather than keep up that 162 pace.

Indians 13, Rays 0: Mentioned the reigning NL Cy Young Award winner. How about that reigning AL Cy Young Award winner? The Indians rocked David Price like a hurricane, getting eight runs on ten hits off the guy. Carlos Santana went 5 for 5 and drove in three. Mark Reynolds went three for four and drove in four. Meanwhile, seven shutout innings for Justin Masterson. Wait — was this a carbon copy of the Red Sox-Jays game? Is someone printing up duplicates?

Mets 4, Marlins 3: Nice start for rookie Jose Ferdnandez in his MLB debut (5 IP, 3 H, 1 ER 8K), but Steve Cishek couldn’t hold it down in the ninth. The Mets won it on a Marlon Byrd RBI single.

Reds 6, Nationals 3: Well, on the bright side, this time Steven Strasburg was allowed to throw more than 80 pitches. The bad news, though, is that he needed 114 pitches just to get through five and a third. Washington looked pretty sweet sweeping the Marlins. In their first action against a major league team, however, they drop two of three.

Yankees 7, Tigers 0: That’s more like it from New York. And from CC Sabathia, who pitched seven scoreless. If they had lost this one it would have been the Yankees’ worst start since 1989. That team had Steve Balboni on it, though, so at least it was fun.

Diamondbacks 8, Brewers 7: Not fun at all: what the Brewers are doing at the moment. In case you missed it, you have to read Matthew’s full write-up of what happened in the late innings of this one. When you call Ryan Braun off the on-deck circle and put Kyle Lohse in to hit for him in extra innings with two men on in a one-run game you are living wrong. You are suffering the consequences of roster malpractice. This is disgraceful.

Twins 4, Orioles 3: Who had the Twins at 4-2 after six games against teams which made the playoffs in 2012? You? Really? Lying like a cheap rug, dude. Meanwhile, the Orioles are now 0-3 in one-run games on the year. Here’s a shoutout to the folks who yelled at the people citing their excellent record in such games last  year as a function of luck, who are now presumably saying that the O’s have just stumbled into some bad luck this week.

Dodgers 6, Pirates 2Hyun-Jin Ryu got his first big league victory, with a first inning homer to Andrew McCutchen the only blemish. Adrian Gonzalez drove in four. Three game sweep for the Dodgers.

White Sox 4, Mariners 3Dayan Viciedo hit a walkoff bomb in the tenth. Credit the sweet, sweet, sweet 1983 throwbacks. Probably my favorite (non-traditional) uniform of the double knit-era. Just look at these things. They’re glorious, I tell you. Oh: from the AP game story: Viciedo’s nickname is apparently “Tank.” I was unaware of this. I have a friend whose nickname is Tank. I’ve known a couple other Tanks too. You cannot be a bad person if your nickname is Tank. It’s just impossible.

Rockies 9, Padres 1: Colorado is 5-1, which is what we all expected, obviously. And you’ll be shocked — SHOCKED! — to learn that Edinson Volquez had a rough first inning. It’s so unlike him. Wilin Rosario hit a three-run homer. Dexter Fowler hit a homer in the first after unsuccessfully trying to deke the home plate umpire into thinking he was plunked, only to be called back to the plate. Saved from himself.

Cardinals 14, Giants 3: On the day the Giants wore their purty gold uniforms and got their rings, the team they unseated as defending World Series champs laid a whuppin’ on them. The bad day for aces continued, as Matt Cain was roughed up for nine runs in three and two-thirds.

Athletics 9, Astros 3: Well, not all aces got rocked. Brett Anderson — who was the Opening Day starter, so he could theoretically be an ace I suppose — struck out ten Astros in six innings, allowing two unearned runs.

Rangers 7, Angels 3: Prime time game that, ain’t gonna lie, interested me way less than the “Mad Men” premier. Sorry, dudes. Anyway, Josh Hamilton actually started hitting — he went 3 for 5 — but L.A. didn’t get enough otherwise. Bigger news: both team’s aces — Yu Darvish and Jered Weaver — left early with injuries. Not major ones. Darvish had a recurrence of that blister he first developed last week and Weaver sprained his non-throwing elbow. But not good news for either of them.

1. dondada10 - Apr 8, 2013 at 6:22 AM

Mike Redmond had a bad 9th inning in the Mets game.

Up one, with runners on third and second, he played the infield in with one out. Marlon Byrd’s game winning hit barely made it to the bag, but it was past the drawn in infielder.

An easy out, probably a double play, turned into a walk-off because Redmond played the infield in with the winning run on second.

• Old Gator - Apr 8, 2013 at 6:51 AM

Part of the problem was how easily the Mutts set up their scoring opportunity. Tejada was able to get to third, and Nieuwenhuis to advance to second, on Peanut Head’s ill advised feeble throw from center. I love JP – he gives you everything he’s got; he just doesn’t have much to give on throws, though. Everyone knows it, too, and the Feesh better count on opponents taking advantage of him whenever they can. It’s like having three quarters of Johnny Damon out there.

• albertmn - Apr 8, 2013 at 11:10 AM

If there was no runner on first, how would it have been “probably a double play”?

• Old Gator - Apr 8, 2013 at 5:14 PM

I suspect what dondada means is that the runner on third, Tejada, would have broken for home but would’ve been thrown out at the plate by Dobbs if Valaika had been able to field the ball and get the out at first.

2. Old Gator - Apr 8, 2013 at 6:39 AM

The Feesh prepped for their home opiner by letting Marlon Byrd take them down in the bottom of the ninth. Tch, tch. Steve Cishek joins the parade of last year’s stellar performers who can’t seem to catch a break to open this season. Fortunately, the Feesh did cut down on their baserunning blunders – no one was caught between the bases or gunned down at the plate yesterday. Refreshing. On the other hand, despite Laffey’s struggles on the mound and the usual buffet of scoring opportunities from which they could have selected, the Feesh went 2 for 14 with RISP while dropping to 1-5 on their season opening road trip. Doubtless Mike Redmond can’t wait for the return of Tweeter so they can go 1 for 14 instead. McLoria’s Follies limp home like a bunch of lungfeesh in a drought, hugging last place where they’re likely to spend the entire season. The Iron Giant remains in his batting funk and, after a hopeful flicker of plate discipline a couple of games ago, has gone back to his compulsion to bite at pitches in the dirt or in his face like a one-eyed snapping turtle. This is, as I mentioned a few days ago, par for April for the Giant, who is apparently a May flower.

On the bright side, pink-cheeked Jose Fernandez became, at 20, the youngest Feesh to start a game in team history. He peetched five super-solid innings of one run ball with one walk and nine strikeouts, his fastball topping out at 97 MPH on a couple of occasions. Looks like Scrooge and the Chihuahua have finally found their Great Cuban Hope, the anti-Slobbering Ozzie who at this point last year was under suspension for his delightful late valentine to El Jefe.True, it was against the Mutts, but Fernandez will shortly be able to try his mettle against more ept opponents.

Tonight, the Feesh open at home. We should be spared some of the disgusting excesses of last season’s home opener: no shell of Muhammad Ali, fewer pneumatic, garishly decorated cabaret bimbos straight out of Tres Tigres Tristes, and less of a nauseating spectacle of Scrooge McLoria himself making…well…a nauseating spectacle of himself. Should be interessin’ though.

• Old Gator - Apr 8, 2013 at 6:53 AM

Correction: Fernandez tallied eight strikeouts, not nine. Best one was the way he froze David Wright with an 80-MPH curve for strike three. I don’t think Wright got the bat off his shoulder the entire at-bat.

• Old Gator - Apr 8, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Oh, yeah, and…mmmmmm, grits – still in a virginal state, awaiting their violation by grated sharp cheddar, butter, redeye sauce and a dash of Tabasco (though recently I have switched to Ethiopian Awaze sauce, and if you knew about this stuff, you would too).

• APBA Guy - Apr 8, 2013 at 11:19 AM

Fernandez looked like the real deal. And he’s Cuban. If he keeps it up, any chance the locals will actually come to the park and watch his starts?

• Old Gator - Apr 8, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Hard to say. One of the big flaws in the marketing strategies of all Feesh ownerships has been an “if you play a Cuban, they will come” attitude. I think it’s safe to assume at this point that if the team is very good around said Cuban, they might, but if it sucks, they won’t, unless their exile golden boy is a super-duper stud. And even then, there won’t be enough of them to justify, in the withered recesses of Scrooge McLoria’s alleged mind, what the kid would probably win in his first arbitration eligibility. So, if history is our guide, Scrooge will milk the kid for all he’s worth and then dump him shy of the waiver deadline some molten late July evening a few years down the road.

3. hova84 - Apr 8, 2013 at 6:42 AM

Ramiro Pena has done quite a job filling in for the injured Simmons. If it weren’t for him the Upton spectacle wouldn’t have happened and he came through again yesterday with 2 knocks and 2 rbis. That said, hurry back Simmons (and Freddie).

4. randygnyc - Apr 8, 2013 at 6:56 AM

Interesting fact. Mariano Rivera has not blown a save against Detroit since July of 1998

• historiophiliac - Apr 8, 2013 at 7:56 AM

Damn you, Rivera. I love you.

• Old Gator - Apr 8, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Mariano Rivera is no mere human being. He is what the ancient Zoroastrians called an archon, sent to earth as an emanation of Ahura Mazda, creator of the rotary engine, to battle the dark forces.

Or something like that.

5. youknowwhatsgoodforshoulderpain - Apr 8, 2013 at 6:58 AM

Wow. This article is making me hungry!

6. coryfor3 - Apr 8, 2013 at 6:59 AM

Really? Rocked him like a hurricane?
    On a related note, there has to be better descriptions for a pitcher getting beat up than always using “rocked.” Ugh.

• unclemosesgreen - Apr 8, 2013 at 8:43 AM

It’s not CC’s fault you don’t recognize the Scorpions when you hear them.

• spudchukar - Apr 8, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Thanks for clearing that up. Too old to appreciate the Scorpions, I guess, but at least I know the source for the the simile. So if anyone knows the lyricist for the Scorpions, could they please ask him WTF?

• coryfor3 - Apr 8, 2013 at 9:47 AM

Yeah- I recognize a tired, overused reference from a song. It isn’t lost on me. It is just overused and exceedingly obvious.

• coryfor3 - Apr 8, 2013 at 9:51 AM

It is doubly overused. The reference to the song every time somone uses the terms “rocked” is overused and a tired reference. In addition, the term “rocked” used along as a baseball term is overused and tired too (particularly in this article). So put the two together and you have this article’s use.

• Old Gator - Apr 8, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Did you know that if you shine a black light on a scorpion, it light up? Really. That’s how modern now-a-go-go campers keep from laying their sleeping bags down on one at night.

7. youknowwhatsgoodforshoulderpain - Apr 8, 2013 at 7:00 AM

“We’ll not all aces got rocked…”…courtesy of the $26M ‘Stros.

8. uyf1950 - Apr 8, 2013 at 7:12 AM

CC did a great job of salvaging a win in Detroit for the Yankees. Cervelli is making us Yankee fans say….Martin WHO !

• spudchukar - Apr 8, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Not to say, I told you so, but I for one cannot think of any reason a team might miss Martin.

9. mrfloydpink - Apr 8, 2013 at 7:12 AM

I just don’t get Mad Men. Yes, the show evokes the 1960s very effectively. But the acting is hammy and the plots are soap opera-esque. I’ve tried to watch it three or four times and was bored to tears.

• oldpaddy - Apr 8, 2013 at 8:11 AM

I concur. I watched half a season on Netflix and I couldn’t get into it.
      Can someone explain the draw of it?

• beefytrout - Apr 8, 2013 at 8:19 AM

It’s “The Emporer’s New Clothes” of TV shows.

• Ben - Apr 8, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I think the first three seasons are vacuous beauty. I mostly watched it because everyone else did, and because it was pretty and well-produced with flashes of greatness. But mostly it founders on its own wake. The problem is, the fourth season is legitimately outstanding. The characters come together, the plot is compelling, the episodes are well-written, the acting improves some. I haven’t watched last night’s episode, but the most recent season was excellent. I’m not sure it’s worth sitting through three seasons of hit-or-miss TV, but I did, and I ended up with something good. Unlike f*cking Lost. Worst. show. ever.

But to answer your question, I think people got stuck in a self-righteous cycle of being seduced by the glamor of the show, and then feeling guiltily smugly superior that their personal morals are not so misogynist, racist, and amoral as the characters in the show, which in some sort of self-loathing way made watching it ok.

• unclemosesgreen - Apr 8, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Plus there’s just no one to root for but comeuppance. I think the show is so successful because it looks good, and allows people to pretend they’re smart for watching it. The opening credits are amazing. After that …. yawn.

• historiophiliac - Apr 8, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Bite me.

• beefytrout - Apr 8, 2013 at 10:16 AM

“allows people to pretend they’re smart for watching it.”

Truer words have never been spoken.

• historiophiliac - Apr 8, 2013 at 10:30 AM

I am in no way a stupid person. I am in no way a petty person who goes along with the herd and wants to be hip. You don’t have to like the show. I don’t care. But, don’t insult me for wanting to watch it. I am not insulting you for not enjoying it — in the same way that I do not denigrate people on here for their other pop culture interests.

• unclemosesgreen - Apr 8, 2013 at 11:31 AM

I loved The Wire, but it may well be the predecessor in interest.

You don’t really think I’m trying to paint all Mad Men fans as unintelligent? Concerning taste there can be no serious dispute.

I watched a whole episode of Charmed this morning. OK?

• Old Gator - Apr 8, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Mister Hamm gets the huge benefit of the doubt from this television-averse critic and polymath if only because of his performance as Lawrence Ferlinghetti’s defense counsel in Howl, one of the truly wonderful films of the last few years – so good, in fact, that James Franco’s performance as the young Allen Ginsberg obviates his karmic deficits for both his Academy Awards hosting non-performance and for having had anything to do with The Rise of the Planet of the Apes.

• unclemosesgreen - Apr 8, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Not a James Franco fan, but I appreciate Jon Hamm’s talent greatly. I think he pretties up and elevates his material in Mad Men, and is the actual reason (aside from the most beautiful woman on earth, Christina Hendricks) that the show is so successful. Well, that and the graphic artists and set dressers.

The Academy Awards is a regrettable spectacle at best, and sabotaging it is no great mark against young Mr. Franco. 127 Hours and the Daytona 500 are the two things he cannot be forgiven.

• mrfloydpink - Apr 8, 2013 at 12:10 PM

You know historiophiliac, it happens an awful lot that you read things into a comment that just aren’t there.

What he said was that one of the attractions of Mad Men is that it allows people to feel smart, cultured, etc. The same is true of much popular culture–HBO shows, NPR, PBS, etc. That does not mean that the ENTIRE audience is motivated by those concerns, nor does it mean that those who watch for that reason are necessarily vacuous hipsters.

In any event, given that the post notes that he valued Mad Men above last night’s featured baseball game, it is apropos for us to discuss/critique Mad Men. And it is not at all necessary for you to get offended, or to tell us we shouldn’t be saying those things.

• mrfloydpink - Apr 8, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Oh, and the premiere was on at my place last night because the wife likes the show. Consequently, I overheard the use of the the term “Super Bowl” several times in an episode set in 1967-68.

Given that the show has pretensions to being so historically accurate, you would think they would know that the game was not known as the Super Bowl until 1970. To people preparing to attend the first of these games, as the characters apparently were, it would be known as the AFL-NFL World Championship.

• historiophiliac - Apr 8, 2013 at 3:23 PM

mrfloyd, why don’t you go talk to “the wife” or someone else who wants to put up with your condescending ass. When you start telling everyone else on here what they “always” do that irks you, you can start telling me too — and I still won’t care. If you guys don’t want me to push back, be careful with your words. Say “some people” instead of “people” — but if you make blanket statements, you can’t get pissy when I call you on it.

• mrfloydpink - Apr 8, 2013 at 3:30 PM

@historiophiliac. Here’s a suggestion for you: Why don’t you go fuck yourself? I’m tired of your pedantry, and that’s saying something given that I deal with professional academics on a daily basis.

Guess what: Not everything is about you!

• historiophiliac - Apr 8, 2013 at 4:42 PM

And yet, you felt the need to comment on my comment when I wasn’t even talking to you — and give me your opinion about me, which I clearly don’t want. I don’t know what your problem is, but, again, save it for someone else. If you don’t like my comments, you don’t have to read them.

• Old Gator - Apr 8, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Unk: you need to watch Howl. As an avid fan of the Beats – Kerouac, Cassidy, Ginsberg, Holmes, Burroughs, Snyder, Corso et al – I was just blown away by Franco’s performance as Ginsberg. His recreation of Ginsberg’s 1955 debut reading of the poem at the Six Gallery in San Francisco is beyond masterful.He’s going to be releasing his film of Cormac McCarthy’s Child of God this summer and based on how he handled the Ginsberg role, I can’t wait to see what he did with our literary lord of darkness’ little masterpiece about my favorite redneck necrophiliac serial killer.

• unclemosesgreen - Apr 9, 2013 at 11:47 AM

I’ve been reluctant to watch it, but apparently I should give it a chance. It’s the sort of thing which, if gotten wrong, could ruin my week or longer. Certain things I take too personally.

• Old Gator - Apr 8, 2013 at 10:32 AM

The acting is hammy.

Puns that bad are punishable by waterboarding, even when unintentional.

• mrfloydpink - Apr 8, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I did not intend that pun, but it’s pretty funny now that you point it out.

• Old Gator - Apr 8, 2013 at 5:28 PM

No matter. Gowachin guilty!

10. therealtrenches - Apr 8, 2013 at 7:54 AM

Phillies fan here: ugh.

As for Mad Men, now that they have established their audience, and they’re in their final season, they don’t need to be intriguing to anyone but people who know the back stories. They can be slow if they want.

• historiophiliac - Apr 8, 2013 at 8:00 AM

We have another season after this.

• mrfloydpink - Apr 8, 2013 at 12:11 PM

It was the first season I tried to watch, and then the second. So it was their back stories that I couldn’t get into.

11. chill1184 - Apr 8, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Idiot NY sports “writers” still clamoring for Alderson to bring up Wheeler to the big club after seeing the minnows rookie outing. Thankfully Alderson could care less what mental midgets who have never worked in baseball other than running their moronic mouths think.

• unclemosesgreen - Apr 8, 2013 at 8:46 AM

Wait – I can get paid by a baseball team to run my moronic mouth?

• chill1184 - Apr 8, 2013 at 8:49 AM

If you repeat annoying baseball cliches like grit, hustle, plays to win, clutch, etc and give no intelligent analysis on the actual team then Im sure you get a job as a sports “journalist”.

12. proudlycanadian - Apr 8, 2013 at 8:13 AM

A bad day at the office for several big name pitchers. Fortunately, they still have another 30 starts to show why they are aces.

13. indaburg - Apr 8, 2013 at 8:14 AM

Ok, who put the Visine in all the ace pitchers’ drinking water? Except for a couple of exceptions, yesterday was a bad day for people who love good pitching.

14. Jason Lukehart - Apr 8, 2013 at 8:49 AM

The Indians become the first team in history to defeat both reigning Cy Young winners in the first month of the season, needing just six games to accomplish the feat (and with Justin Masterson on the winning side for both games).

15. therealtrenches - Apr 8, 2013 at 8:51 AM

@historio: good god you’re right. Another season after this. Face palm. At least my wife will be happy.

I can’t remember another weekend in early April w this much bad pitching by staff aces.

16. jdrew506 - Apr 8, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Guess all the Yankee Doom watchers are taking the day off after they beat the best pitcher in baseball. When will people learn, until the ship actually goes down you can’t count them dead.

• historiophiliac - Apr 8, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Everybody has bad days and I seem to recall that V started out badly last April too. 1 game means squat.

• historiophiliac - Apr 8, 2013 at 12:04 PM

In other words: 1 game does not negate the DOOM!!!!

17. paperlions - Apr 8, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Oriole’s record in 1-run games in 2013: 0-3 (….just sayin’).

• historiophiliac - Apr 8, 2013 at 9:45 AM

:( I enjoyed their 1-run run.

• indaburg - Apr 8, 2013 at 10:05 AM

I can do without them.

18. spudchukar - Apr 8, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Certainly some oddly lopsided scores, for ace day, watched most of the Cueto/Strasberg match-up and neither were particularly sharp.

One serious drawback from choosing “The Extra Innings Package”, over MLB.com via laptop, is being forced to listen to home town announcers. Since I often have been exposed to Reds homers, I have come to expect it. But yesterday’s coronation and ring ceremony was a bit overdone in San Francisco, by the usually tolerable Kuiper/Krukow Kombo.

First off, baseball rings are gaudy, garish, gargantuan, glittered, gold-laden garbage. Sure WS winners need to be coddled, addled though they are with glory filled memories. But SF, I get the continued celebration ad nausea in 2010, it had been quite awhile. But come on, been there, done that.

Message to any announcers; and yes this can also apply to those in St. Louis, albeit to a considerable lesser degree, all you are exuding is fear by consistently crowing about the unbelievable greatness of your current franchise. I get it, you are impressed by your stupendousness, now could we please get back to the game.

19. hitdog042 - Apr 8, 2013 at 9:57 AM

No posts about character. Craig must be upset. I’ll do one. Character matters. But it doesn’t make you pitch better. John Farrell re made Lester not Jonny Gomes. It is nice seeing the Red Sox have fun again. It’s been awhile since we have seen a happy dugout. Character comes into play when a losing streak occurs and how you manage it. We still don’t know the answer to that for the 13 Sox yet.

20. APBA Guy - Apr 8, 2013 at 11:34 AM

The A’s did what they needed to do, taking 3 from the Astros over the weekend. They get today off to talk to Brett Anderson about the how-to’s of fielding his position. Tomorrow they are in Anaheim to face the Angels who are the first team they’ll play predicted to be as good or better than them.

The Astros are pathetic, striking out an additional 14 times yesterday. The running count of their strikeouts gets the headlines, but the pitching and defense are woeful as well. For contenders to the AL West title this year, losing to the Astros is like a pro golfer getting a bogey on a par five, or like Lionel Messi missing a goal in front of an empty net. It’s a horror not to be contemplated, a disaster of “biblical proportions” for Ghostbuster fans, and it’s a game dropped to your AL West rivals. If you’re the A’s you can’t lose these games, and they didn’t.

21. natstowngreg - Apr 8, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Not much to say, except that the Nats did not play well this weekend. The more paranoid of my fellow fans might view Craig’s comment as trolling. I view it as truth-telling.

Happily, this was the end of Week One of the long season. The Nats are 4-2 with 156 games to go. No need for great concern. The White Sox come to town (which might get the President to show up for a game, unlike Opening Day).

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3677)