Apr 8, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
Gomez held his own in his first taste of the majors last season, hitting .275 with a .746 OPS in 37 games as a 27-year-old rookie, and has hit .307 with a .913 OPS in 235 games at Triple-A.
Toronto dropped David Bush from the 40-man roster to make space for Gomez, who profiles as a productive platoon starter versus left-handed pitching if given an extended opportunity. For now, though, he’ll head back to Triple-A.
- The Lester trade is a win-win 44
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 110
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 38
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (118)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (118)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)