Apr 8, 2013, 4:48 PM EDT
A’s center fielder Coco Crisp is off to a great start, hitting .333 with three homers and five doubles in seven games. Crisp isn’t exactly known as a slugger and our own D.J. Short passes along this crazy stat that puts his power binge in context:
During the first half of last season Crisp played 60 games and came to the plate 247 times, and he totaled … three homers and five doubles.
Or, put another way, if Crisp goes homer-less and double-less for the next 53 games and 214 plate appearances he’d match his exact totals from the first half of last season. Personally, I think he should try to do it. Probably wouldn’t even be that hard, except for the part about convincing manager Bob Melvin not to bench him.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (120)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)