Great Moments in sub-headlines: runs = “points” edition

Apr 8, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT

This is from a few days ago, but Deadspin just found and posted about it and it’s too good not to share. Ladies and gentlemen: the Los Angeles Times:

Now, I’ve met Mike DiGivovanna before, and I can assure you that he knows that baseball teams score runs, not points.  So good going random editor/headline writer/whoever was responsible!

1. Sideline Mob - Apr 8, 2013 at 2:35 PM

If only the Angels had gone for two.

• kopy - Apr 8, 2013 at 2:39 PM

It’s not like they knew the Rangers were going to shoot from behind the 3-point line.

• Sideline Mob - Apr 8, 2013 at 2:43 PM

…15-love.

• JB (the original) - Apr 8, 2013 at 4:20 PM

That’s what you get when you pull the goalie….

• polonelmeagrejr - Apr 8, 2013 at 5:41 PM

Don’t reallly understand all these new stats. makes the game too confusing.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 8, 2013 at 3:11 PM

LOL! This reminds me of my buddy’s grandmother.
      Sweet…sweet…Old Lady.
      We were watching the All Star Game about 15 years ago.
      She thought it was strange all the umpires were named “AL.”

• historiophiliac - Apr 8, 2013 at 3:19 PM

True story: One of my friends called me during the WS. She said: What are you doing? I said: I’m watching the ballgame. She said: Oh, okay, I’ll call you later then. She called me back 30 minutes later: What are you doing? I’m watching the ballgame. Oh, is that still on?

Yeah, her brother and I make fun of her all the time. She has honest to God asked before about halftime.

• UgglasForearms - Apr 8, 2013 at 3:38 PM

‘Philiac, my sister once asked me “How many quarters in a football game”. I still tease her about that.

• polonelmeagrejr - Apr 8, 2013 at 5:42 PM

histori – how much time was there left in the game?

• historiophiliac - Apr 8, 2013 at 5:49 PM

It was only like the 2nd set. They hadn’t even done substitutions yet.

• historiophiliac - Apr 8, 2013 at 11:37 PM

FTW, tonight in class (and I am NOT making this up):

Student: You like the Tigers, right?
        Me: Yes.
        Student: The won in overtime this weekend didn’t they?
        Me: Overtime? Uh…

2. 14thinningstretch - Apr 8, 2013 at 2:53 PM

If they’d only hit the bullseye, the rest of the Rangers’ dominoes would have fallen like a house of cards.

• umrguy42 - Apr 8, 2013 at 3:23 PM

Checkmate.

3. cocheese000 - Apr 8, 2013 at 3:27 PM

My wife gets so mad when I correct her and tell her it’s not points, it is runs.

4. chacochicken - Apr 8, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Their pit crew needs work. Seems to take forever to get the car refueled.

5. nothanksimdriving123 - Apr 8, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Sadly, newspapers stumbled badly in trying to cope with this new Interwebby thing, and to try to save money, in many cases, the experienced copy editors were among the first to be sent packing. To no one’s surprise, quality was an immediate casualty. (As many have also noticed, customer service was also outsourced to foreign shores.) Alas.

• thrstr - Apr 8, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I really don’t think that it’s the “Interweb’s” fault, but people aren’t reading these rags anymore for SOME reason, but that’s discussion for another forum, – the overall result is unavoidable and undeniable.
      It’s funny when your sis or granny commits such a gaff, but the LA Times “sports” section? I wouldn’t pay for it.

6. slavetothetrafficlight - Apr 8, 2013 at 10:49 PM

I swear I’ve heard Joe Maddon call runs “points” during interviews.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto