Apr 8, 2013, 8:24 AM EST
There’s a lot that goes on during the weekend of a baseball season. And a lot of you, for reasons that must make some sort of sense, but like, whatever, choose to only read HBT during the week while you’re at work. I guess that’s OK. I’m sure your family is nice. But you really are missing out.
In case you decided to live your life this weekend rather than read HardballTalk, here’s some of what went down:
- Josh Hamilton didn’t do too well in his return to Texas. And the boos gave him a sad. And the general scene gave his family cause for concern. And really, his whole first week was kind of a train wreck.
- Chris Davis homered in his fourth straight game to open the season.
- Ryan Braun’s super awesome drugs apparently don’t work on neck spasms. Maybe he’s not a cyborg after all?
- Why did the Phillies give up 13 runs to the Royals?
- Awesome job, kid! Now go back to Sacramento.
- Still convinced I’m gonna find one of these under the seat of an old Model A in a junkyard or something. Better odds of that, anyway, than of me successfully managing my 401K plan until I’m 62.
- If you haven’t cried today, this will fix that right up quick.
- Don’t do drugs, kids.
- But if you do, when you come back you’ll bump some promising kid to the minors and get a start even though you’re career is probably toast.
- There was a trade between the Rockies and the Dodgers.
- John Lackey’s bicep is not in The Best Shape of its Life.
- Aramis Ramirez went on the DL.
- FATHER OF THE YEAR.
- Bill Hall’s career cannot be killed.
- Next on “Upton to Upton …“
- Carlos Marmol lost his job.
- Fewer Phillies fans show up when the team’s no good? Unpossible. I was told that they are die hards who support the team through thick and thin. And that those attendance totals from pre-2007 or so were aberrations.
- Freddie Freeman hit the DL.
- Albert Pujols will walk away from millions if he one day can’t play anymore. He says now.
- Welcome back to Columbus, Trevor Bauer! Let me show you around my fair town! Can we walk? I heard you love walks.
- Stephen Drew will be back soon.
- The Brewers are a hot mess at the moment.
- Silver and gold … [insert Bono asking if he’s bugging you, because he didn’t mean to BUG ya].
Alright, Edge. Play the blues.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 11
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 56
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 141
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)