John Maine says he never lied to the Mets

Apr 8, 2013, 9:48 AM EDT

John Maine

Remember back in 2010 when Mets’ pitching coach Dan Warthen called John Maine “a habitual liar” with respect to his health?  It’s been three years, but Maine responded to him yesterday. From Jorge Arangure of the New York Times:

“I was upset at that because I didn’t lie to anybody … My shoulder was being held together with duct tape at the time. They knew everything that was going on. They all knew.”

Which, OK, but at the time Maine said his arm was fine – he was quoted as saying “I don’t need to go to a doctor” — and now he’s saying that it was “held together with duct tape.” So, that kind of makes Warthen’s point, does it not?

Oh well. If you’re a Maine fan, Arangure’s story provides a nice catchup on where he is and where he’s been.

1. chill1184 - Apr 8, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Oh John Maine you and your grudges.

2. heyblueyoustink - Apr 8, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Maybe he’s been hanging out with Henry Rollins…

3. thebadguyswon - Apr 8, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Oh those evil bastards, those Mets!! God damn them straight to hell!!!!

4. ptfu - Apr 8, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Remember the Maine! Wait, it’s more like the Maine remembers. John isn’t the first Maine to blow up under mysterious circumstances.

5. mungman69 - Apr 8, 2013 at 10:53 AM

The Mets? The Yankees? Not much in the Big Apple.

6. Sorbet Te Charta Saccus - Apr 8, 2013 at 11:31 AM

“I was upset at that because I didn’t lie to anybody…I lied to EVERYBODY”

What a buffoon. Dude, if your shoulder was being held together by duct tape, then no, it was not “fine” unless fine means your “arm was still attached”.

7. vallewho - Apr 8, 2013 at 4:57 PM

Not a Maine fan (I’m not even sure if I have ever seen him throw a pitch), but I do know that in professional sports, teams generally don’t want honesty in regards to health. They may say they do, but when a player says that “he can’t go”, it is generally not regarded as a positive trait (honesty). Chances are that they player would pickup the label of weak / unwilling-to-play-through-pain, not-a-team-player, etc.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto