Apr 8, 2013, 1:00 PM EST
David Laurila of FanGraphs did a Q&A with Giants broadcaster Jon Miller. It deals mostly with statistics and how he as a broadcaster understands and uses them. It also touches a lot on his former ESPN broadcast partner, Joe Morgan, and whether the book on him — that he as perhaps the perfect sabermetric ballplayer yet, as an analyst, failed to grasp what made players like him great — is fair or not. Miller goes on to talk about a couple other sabermetric causes, Bert Blyleven and Jack Morris.
I feel, overall, Miller was being a bit too charitable with Morgan and Morris. Miller is too nice to bury anyone, of course, and those guys are fellow broadcasters so perhaps that explains it, but I feel like he’s biting his tongue a bit. No way he believes that pitching to the score jive, right?
But if there are any flaws with what Miller has to say, they’re made up for with a great Earl Weaver anecdote:
I saw Earl Weaver put on a suicide squeeze bunt, in Milwaukee. It worked. Everybody asked him, ‘Wait, we thought you told us you didn’t even have a sign for a suicide squeeze, because you hated it so much.’ Earl said, ‘I still don’t.’ I asked him, ‘How did you put it on then?’ He said, ‘I whistled at Cal Ripken, Sr., my third base coach. Then I shouted at him, ‘Squeeze! Squeeze! Then I motioned a bunt.’ I said, ‘Paul Molitor was playing third. Didn’t he hear you?’ Earl said, ‘If he did, I’m sure he thought there was no way we were putting it on, or I wouldn’t have been yelling for it.’
Good read all around.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 30
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 28
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 163
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (163)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)