Apr 8, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
David Laurila of FanGraphs did a Q&A with Giants broadcaster Jon Miller. It deals mostly with statistics and how he as a broadcaster understands and uses them. It also touches a lot on his former ESPN broadcast partner, Joe Morgan, and whether the book on him — that he as perhaps the perfect sabermetric ballplayer yet, as an analyst, failed to grasp what made players like him great — is fair or not. Miller goes on to talk about a couple other sabermetric causes, Bert Blyleven and Jack Morris.
I feel, overall, Miller was being a bit too charitable with Morgan and Morris. Miller is too nice to bury anyone, of course, and those guys are fellow broadcasters so perhaps that explains it, but I feel like he’s biting his tongue a bit. No way he believes that pitching to the score jive, right?
But if there are any flaws with what Miller has to say, they’re made up for with a great Earl Weaver anecdote:
I saw Earl Weaver put on a suicide squeeze bunt, in Milwaukee. It worked. Everybody asked him, ‘Wait, we thought you told us you didn’t even have a sign for a suicide squeeze, because you hated it so much.’ Earl said, ‘I still don’t.’ I asked him, ‘How did you put it on then?’ He said, ‘I whistled at Cal Ripken, Sr., my third base coach. Then I shouted at him, ‘Squeeze! Squeeze! Then I motioned a bunt.’ I said, ‘Paul Molitor was playing third. Didn’t he hear you?’ Earl said, ‘If he did, I’m sure he thought there was no way we were putting it on, or I wouldn’t have been yelling for it.’
Good read all around.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)