Quote of the Day: Josh Hamilton

Apr 8, 2013, 11:32 AM EDT

josh hamilton getty Getty Images

It was an eventful few days for Josh Hamilton in Texas. He’s been booed, jeered, his family felt it needed personal security  and, above all else, he played exceedingly poorly. He redeemed himself a bit yesterday, but it was basically a train wreck for him.  So Bob Nightengale of USA Today asked him if Texas got to him. Hamilton says nope:

It’s not just being here in Texas. I’d suck anywhere right now.”

He’s off today, but then he and the Angels get six home games, including three against the lowly Astros.  If he’s not on track by then, the boos may expand farther west.

1. fordman84 - Apr 8, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Couldn’t happen to a nicer d-bag.

2. jm91rs - Apr 8, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I’m not sure if people just forgot or what, but he got a nice applause in Cincinnati. He said a few things about fans and teammates not supporting him in Cincinnati like they did in Texas, I guess everyone there just forgot.

• beefytrout - Apr 8, 2013 at 12:03 PM

It’s not that anyone forgot, they just realized that the situations were completely different.

• jm91rs - Apr 8, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Yeah, I’m glad he was applauded as I’m sure most fans would have liked to re-do that Edinson Volquez deal after year one, but I just remember him saying a lot of things about how it was so much better in Texas compared to Cincinnati. He must like burning bridges I suppose.

• beefytrout - Apr 8, 2013 at 12:13 PM

that’s the thing… JH didn’t choose to leave Cincinnati, he was traded. maybe that bothered him. who knows. the guy is sensitive.

• paperlions - Apr 8, 2013 at 12:54 PM

I seem to remember a lot of stories out of Cinci that essentially boiled down to “No one in the locker room in Cinci liked Hamilton at all and they wanted to see him gone.”

• firedustybaker - Apr 8, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Actually, the Volquez deal turned into Latos, so I’m not sure anyone in Cincinnati is too unhappy with the way it worked out.

3. chacochicken - Apr 8, 2013 at 12:24 PM

I’ve met lots of people with many different backgrounds, from many varied socio-economic groups, and worked with guys from tenured university professors to migrant workers. Everyone makes useless excuses. Basically, we should scream, “Way to act just like me, Josh Hamilton! That’s the kind of bullshit excuse I’d make to my boss! I hate the co-workers from my old job too!” I’m not defending him nor do I feel particularly sympathetic for him, although he did inadvertently kill a fan. I just think he’s a regular guy that is very good at baseball. A terrible perception problem we have with professional sports. I kind of see Josh as Cringer from He-Man (which, interestingly, is premired 30 freaking years ago).

• paperlions - Apr 8, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Man, this one is obscure….I don’t get it.

• tripleg3 - Apr 8, 2013 at 7:51 PM

So true I agree with this comment

4. reeggss - Apr 8, 2013 at 1:01 PM

This guy loves to blame others, make excuses and take mild shots at previous employers, sounds a lot like some of the 16 year olds I hire at my business. A lot of people are like this but not all, not the WINNERS.

5. losanginsight - Apr 8, 2013 at 1:23 PM

How many different pills is this guy on?He is an emotional mess.

6. thegreatstoneface - Apr 8, 2013 at 2:35 PM

…you know, he can be an oblivious dick, that’s fine. just stay sober and do your job on the field, and provide for the folks who count on you. that’ll be enough, i think.

7. coloradogolfcoupons - Apr 8, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Hamilton is the biggest hypocrite in sports, using Jesus (and even comparing himself to Jesus when Ranger fans booed him this week) as an excuse when anything goes wrong. He is the PREMIER excuse maker in baseball (Blue eyes, dry eyes, and other idiotic bs) who blames EVERYONE else but himself for his troubles. He quit on the team last year halfway through when he realized the Rangers did not want him back, and sat out 6 games down the stretch because his eyes were dry. What a LOAD of crap. He looked like Ray Charles at the plate for 4 months, and deserves all the boos he is getting and more. He keeps blaming Ranger fans, sticking his foot in his mouth every time he opens it. His IQ is Gump-like, but is ego is monstrous, and God DOES have a plan for this idiot. It is unfolding before his very ‘dry eyes’ as he becomes the easiest out in MLB, like he was the last four months of last year

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3476)