Apr 8, 2013, 7:40 PM EDT
Then came the top of the ninth inning. With Cardinals closer Mitchell Boggs in a 4-4 game, the Reds exploded — well, that’s probably not precisely the right word — for nine runs, turning the NL Central battle into a 13-4 laugher.
Here’s how the inning went:
- Shin-Soo Choo walked
- Chris Heisey fouled off a sac bunt attempt, then popped out (1st out)
- Choo advanced to second on a wild pitch
- Joey Votto was intentionally walked
- Brandon Phillips flared a ball down the right field line that bounced off the chalk for an RBI double (5-4)
- Jay Bruce was intentionally walked, loading the bases
- Todd Frazier walked (6-4)
- Jack Hannahan grounded to third, David Freese bobbled, everyone safe on infield single (7-4)
- Ryan Hanigan grounded to short, Pete Kozma bobbled, everyone safe on error (8-4)
At this point, Boggs finally gets pulled in favor of Marc Rzepczynski
- Cesar Izturis singled to right (9-4)
- Shin-Soo Choo tripled to left (12-4)
- Chris Heisey grounded out (2nd out)
- Joey Votto singled to left (13-4)
- Brandon Phillips walked
- Jay Bruce grounded one off Rzepczynski’s glove for an infield single
- Todd Frazier struck out (3rd out)
Two intentional walks, three regular walks. An error and two more infield singles that could have been errors.
In all, it was pretty much the ugliest inning you’ll ever see from a good baseball team. Boggs and Rzepczynski combined to throw 52 pitches to 16 batters. Boggs was charged with six earned runs, taking his ERA to 14.54. Rzepczynski gave up two runs.
Jul 22, 2014, 6:33 AM EDT
Adam Jones smacked two homers. So did David Ortiz. Oh, and Lisa needs braces (dental plan), Lisa needs braces (dental plan).
Jul 21, 2014, 11:15 PM EDT
The Rangers had high hopes when they signed outfielder Shin-Soo Choo to a seven-year, $130 million contract over the winter, but a lingering injury to his left ankle is a major reason why his first season with Texas has been a bust.
Jul 21, 2014, 10:29 PM EDT
Plenty of scouts were in attendance tonight for Cliff Lee’s first start in the majors in over two months. They likely didn’t come away impressed.
Jul 21, 2014, 9:58 PM EDT
Royals left-hander Jason Vargas underwent an appendectomy less than two weeks ago, but he could be activated from the disabled list as soon as Sunday against the Indians.
Jul 21, 2014, 9:15 PM EDT
Andrelton Simmons just isn’t fair.
Jul 21, 2014, 8:48 PM EDT
Dodgers right-hander Josh Beckett is dealing with a left hip impingement, but he made it through a bullpen session Saturday with no issues and has been cleared to return Tuesday.
Jul 21, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT
X-rays on the hands of Hanley Ramirez and Yasiel Puig came back negative.
Jul 21, 2014, 7:09 PM EDT
Veteran catcher John Buck was given his release by the Mariners earlier this month, but he didn’t stay out of a job for long.
Jul 21, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
After a demotion to Triple-A earlier this month, Tommy Milone has asked the Athletics to trade him. He appears unlikely to get his wish.
Jul 21, 2014, 5:28 PM EDT
Jeter has been that for so, so long. Who’s next?
Jul 21, 2014, 5:10 PM EDT
Justin Morneau was finally healthy and productive again after three injury wrecked years in Minnesota, to the point that he nearly made the All-Star team as a “Final Vote” candidate and was chosen for the Home Run Derby. But now he’s hurt again.
Jul 21, 2014, 5:03 PM EDT
You could do worse. Like, say, stand pat with the Royals’ offense.
Jul 21, 2014, 4:46 PM EDT
Yankees first baseman will be out of the lineup for at least the next 3-4 days with a strained lat muscle, according to Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News.
Jul 21, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
Sergio Santos saved 30 games for the White Sox in 2011 and then that offseason the Blue Jays acquired him to take over as their closer, but he’s been injured and ineffective since then and today Toronto designated him for assignment.
Jul 21, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
He could be throwing pitches in anger in September.
Jul 21, 2014, 3:45 PM EDT
After four terrible seasons Kurt Suzuki had to settle for a one-year, $2.75 million deal this offseason, but now he’s having a career-year for the Twins and made his first All-Star team at age 30.
Jul 21, 2014, 3:15 PM EDT
Evan Gattis is off the disabled list after missing the past four weeks with a bulging disk in his back and to make room for his return the Braves demoted fill-in catcher Christian Bethancourt to Triple-A.
Jul 21, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Some Colby on Colby crime in Toronto on Saturday. And none of it made a lick of sense.
Jul 21, 2014, 2:44 PM EDT
Imagine a story like that happening today (and not involving Miguel Olivo).
Jul 21, 2014, 2:36 PM EDT
The third installment in what I feel is the coolest set of baseball prints ever is now out.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 5
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Baseball is dying, you guys (148)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)