Terry Francona got lost walking to the ballpark

Apr 8, 2013, 2:44 PM EDT

terry francona indians

Terry Francona lives two blocks from the Indians’ ballpark, but somehow got lost walking there today for the home opener.

Via the Associated Press:

Francona, who is living in downtown Cleveland during the season, was thankful there were people on the streets Monday morning “because I got lost three times.” Francona joked that he doesn’t have a good sense of direction and was glad someone finally picked him up in a golf cart and got him to the ballpark.

As someone who basically has no idea how to get anywhere and relies on a GPS to an unhealthy degree I can sympathize. And really, letting random people in Cleveland drive you around in a golf cart sounds like a feature rather than a bug.

1. xpensivewinos - Apr 8, 2013 at 2:50 PM

R.I.P Pascual Perez.

2. thomas844 - Apr 8, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Imagine being an average Clevelander walking around and having Terry Francona come out of nowhere and ask you for directions. That would make my day! lol

• andrewproughcfe - Apr 8, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I had to pick someone up at the airport one time during the work day. I had a white dress shirt and tie on, with black slacks – I guess I looked like an airline employee standing there by the gate. I saw a huge guy with a limp get off the plane – sure enough it was Bill Walton. He made a bee-line for me, asking me for the connection to Seattle. I told him I had no idea what the connection to Seattle was, and he looked at me like “why does the airline hire a dumb-ass like this?” and limped off.

Funny as hell.

• thomas844 - Apr 8, 2013 at 3:05 PM

That’s awesome! I bet that was a “What just happened?” moment haha.

• fanofevilempire - Apr 8, 2013 at 4:29 PM

and this guy is the manager?
      oh boy!

• buggieowens - Apr 8, 2013 at 6:12 PM

That’s right…he might get lost around a neighborhood but he surely knows his way to an all-time great playoff comeback and two W.S. rings. I’ll be rooting for him except against the Red Sox.

3. whitecastleisafoodgroup - Apr 8, 2013 at 2:54 PM

People in downtown Cleveland drive around in golf carts?

• silversun60 - Apr 8, 2013 at 4:25 PM

This.

4. 13arod - Apr 8, 2013 at 3:00 PM

don’t know how you get lost when you live 2 blocks from the stadium

• handsofsweed - Apr 8, 2013 at 7:20 PM

I don’t know how you don’t stop at Aladdin’s on Carnegie and get some spinach, meat and tomato pies with a block of feta and a tub of Kalamatta olives.

5. zwilhelm16 - Apr 8, 2013 at 3:03 PM

He must be back on the painkillers.

6. themuddychicken - Apr 8, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Joe Castiglione just had a good time relaying this story on the O’s/Sox broadcast.

7. gabeguterres - Apr 8, 2013 at 3:09 PM

It was probably Jake Taylor that picked him up, trying to get the golf cart back to the ballpark before anyone noticed that it had been gone all night.

8. brewcrewfan54 - Apr 8, 2013 at 3:12 PM

This was just his scheme to get the Indians to send someone in a golf cart to get him every homegame because who doesn’t love riding around in a golf cart?

9. El Bravo - Apr 8, 2013 at 3:26 PM

That sounds like something he may wanna get checked out. That’s is a bit too forgetful if you ask me.

• kiwicricket - Apr 8, 2013 at 4:14 PM

As much as I want to laugh, Francona comes off a bit TOO dazed and confused.

10. chacochicken - Apr 8, 2013 at 3:29 PM

You remember Marcus, he got lost in his own museum once.

11. ncm42 - Apr 8, 2013 at 3:31 PM

Gabe, bravo sir. And Jake only had the bullpen car out all night because he was discussing a few books with Lynn…

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Apr 8, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Is that what kids are calling it these days? Discussing books…

12. demiller2413 - Apr 8, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Was he a member of Spinal Tap?

13. mrfloydpink - Apr 8, 2013 at 4:08 PM

The problem is that living in Boston kills brain cells, at the rate of approximately 1 IQ point worth per month. The effect is doubled in the environs of Fenway Park.

So, assume he began life with a very respectable IQ of 140. He lived in Boston while managing there, so he was spending approximately 4 months per year in the city while not working (-4 IQ per annum) and another 4 months a year working in Fenway (-8 IQ per annum). The other 4 months, approximately, were spent at spring training, on road trips, etc. So, seven years of that cost him approximately -84 IQ, taking him from an IQ of 140 down to one of 56.

No wonder he has to ask directions. That’s Forrest Gump territory.

• kiwicricket - Apr 8, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Forrest never seemed flummoxed as to where he was supposed to be going though…

• fanofevilempire - Apr 8, 2013 at 4:35 PM

with your theory and wicked single commercials I have a better
      understanding of Bostonians now.

14. bennoj - Apr 8, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Good thing he’s not managing the DBacks… asking for directions is not gritty.

15. kalinedrive - Apr 8, 2013 at 5:04 PM

I’ve never been to Jacob’s Field, Progressive Field, Chief Wahoo’s Tepee, or whatever they are calling it now, but aren’t most ballparks kind of big, with high light stands around them, and not exactly hidden behind something? Couldn’t you maybe walk to a corner and look around?

• kiwicricket - Apr 8, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Not always. I have often mistaken stadiums for airports and walked in the opposite direction.
      /s

16. hitdog042 - Apr 8, 2013 at 5:41 PM

It’s not hard to find in Cleveland. It’s the only non ugly building in the city. It’s off the freeway after you pass the run down mills and windowless buildings. You can also gauge my smell. When sewage leads to hot dogs you are close.

• indaburg - Apr 8, 2013 at 6:26 PM

You have a most unfortunate typo.

• spring90 - Apr 9, 2013 at 9:24 AM

your a idiot

17. greatdayfortwo - Apr 8, 2013 at 5:45 PM

It all starts getting lost leaving your home to find a massive building that you work at. Then, you start Tweeting to the world about ‘sand squatches.’

18. rdav29 - Apr 8, 2013 at 6:01 PM

Sounds like he took Jobu’s rum

• kicksave1980 - Apr 8, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Hey bartender! Jobu needs a refill!

19. indaburg - Apr 8, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I won’t use a GPS for that reason. Navigational skills are like a muscle that needs to be exercised or you lose it. I use maps. Old school, baby.

20. hitdog042 - Apr 8, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Lol. Yes I did. Ha!

21. profootballwalk - Apr 8, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Two blocks from a baseball park? Back on the painkillers, apparently.

22. janessa31888 - Apr 9, 2013 at 8:41 AM

At least he didn’t get trapped under a giant flag, like Brandon Weeden did on his first day.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. Y. Molina (3210)