Apr 9, 2013, 6:35 PM EDT
From Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com comes word that the Blue Jays have signed veteran right-hander Miguel Batista to a minor league contract. He was assigned to Triple-A Buffalo, where he will try to pitch well enough to get a shot in Toronto.
Batista signed a minor league contract with the Rockies this winter, then allowed 13 runs — seven earned — in just seven spring innings and was let loose before the beginning of the regular season. It took him about 10 days to find a new gig.
Batista, 42, posted a 4.61 ERA and 1.73 WHIP in 52 2/3 innings last season between the Mets and Braves.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 41
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 72
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 24
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 17
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (97)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)