Apr 9, 2013, 6:35 PM EST
From Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com comes word that the Blue Jays have signed veteran right-hander Miguel Batista to a minor league contract. He was assigned to Triple-A Buffalo, where he will try to pitch well enough to get a shot in Toronto.
Batista signed a minor league contract with the Rockies this winter, then allowed 13 runs — seven earned — in just seven spring innings and was let loose before the beginning of the regular season. It took him about 10 days to find a new gig.
Batista, 42, posted a 4.61 ERA and 1.73 WHIP in 52 2/3 innings last season between the Mets and Braves.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 5
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 54
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 44
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 137
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (137)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)