Apr 9, 2013, 6:35 PM EDT
From Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com comes word that the Blue Jays have signed veteran right-hander Miguel Batista to a minor league contract. He was assigned to Triple-A Buffalo, where he will try to pitch well enough to get a shot in Toronto.
Batista signed a minor league contract with the Rockies this winter, then allowed 13 runs — seven earned — in just seven spring innings and was let loose before the beginning of the regular season. It took him about 10 days to find a new gig.
Batista, 42, posted a 4.61 ERA and 1.73 WHIP in 52 2/3 innings last season between the Mets and Braves.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)