Apr 9, 2013, 6:35 PM EDT
From Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com comes word that the Blue Jays have signed veteran right-hander Miguel Batista to a minor league contract. He was assigned to Triple-A Buffalo, where he will try to pitch well enough to get a shot in Toronto.
Batista signed a minor league contract with the Rockies this winter, then allowed 13 runs — seven earned — in just seven spring innings and was let loose before the beginning of the regular season. It took him about 10 days to find a new gig.
Batista, 42, posted a 4.61 ERA and 1.73 WHIP in 52 2/3 innings last season between the Mets and Braves.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 2
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 69
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 75
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 100
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (103)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (100)
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (91)